Israeli daily, Haaretz, reported Thursday that the Israeli army handed an abandoned military base in the occupied West Bank to a nearby settlement council to be used by the settlers. The base, near the southern West Bank city of Hebron, was formerly used as a training center for the Army Engineering Corps; it was evacuated more than 10 years ago.
File – Photo By IMEMC
Settlers of the so-called “South Hebron Hills Regional Council of Settlements” started remodeling the base before the army handed it to them, and even began building a concrete wall around it.
The settlers have been trying to take control over the former base since the day the army left it, and said that “they fear the Palestinians could take control over it”.
According to Haaretz, Israeli Defense Minister, Ehud Barak, approved in August of 2010 a request by the South Hebron Hills Regional Council of Settlements, allowing them to take over the former military base, and even granted the settlers an official license to use it.
The so-called Civil Administration, run by the Israeli army in the occupied West Bank, signed a contract in January 2011, granting the settlers approval to make use of the former base until 2016.
The Israeli Peace Now movement stated that this agreement between the soldiers and the settlers is just part of an ongoing process in which the army seizes West Bank Palestinian lands, citing security concerns, and then hands them to the settlers.
The army said that the license that was granted in 2011 does not authorize the settlers to build new structures on the former base, adding that it is to be used “to provide humanitarian aid to both Israelis and Palestinians, for firefighting and emergency services only”, Haaretz said.
Yet, the structure is now in the hands of the settlers and is totally off-limits to the Palestinian population in the area.
- Israel Arms & Trains Illegal Settlers for Rampage in Occupied Palestine – in pictures
- Leaked document “Operation Summer Seeds”: Israeli forces train & arm settlers to attack Palestinian protesters
- MP Barghouthi warns of massacres after Israel arms, trains settlers
- Israel gives settlers weapons for September
- How US “charities” break tax laws to fund Israeli settlements | EI
- ! France’s JDL’s “Travel Agency” Call for “Militant Rampage Trip”
- Israel Warns Chemical Weapons Will Be Used Against Peaceful Palestine Protests
- Israeli settlers to be armed with dogs as well as tear gas and stun grenades
- Settler Attack dogs of the West Bank | Video | Reuters.com
- Israel approves plan to uproot 30,000 Bedouins | September 11, 2011| 972Magazine
- Forum Dukium | Coexistance forum for Negev
- Greenwashing Apartheid – Free eBook of the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
More (‘Price Tag’) Attacks by Jewish Colonists in Palestine
More pictures in the Gallery Images | الصور
- Special Topic | Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- Special Topic | Ethnic Cleansing
- Quick Facts | 10 Facts about the Nakba
- Exclusive | Interactive map of Palestine villages destroyed during Nakba