BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday urged Israel to either charge or release Palestinian detainees “without delay.”
Ban expressed concern for Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in protest over their detention without charge and stressed “the importance of averting any further deterioration in their condition,” in a statement issued through his spokesman Martin Nesirky.
“(Ban) reiterates that those detained must be charged and face trial with judicial guarantees, or released without delay,” the statement added.
Thaer Halahla, 33, and Bilal Diab, 27, have been on hunger strike in Israel jail for 72 days. Neither has been charged or tried for any offense.
On Monday, Israel’s Supreme Court rejected appeals against their administrative detention.
Physicians for Human Rights – Israel said Diab was transferred from hospital to a prison clinic on Tuesday.
“The (Israeli Prison Service) clinic is not adequate both ethically and professionally to treat hunger strikers. For a life saving resolution to have a chance, hunger strikers must be hospitalized,” PHR-I said in a statement.
The International Committee of the Red Cross warned Tuesday that Diab, Halahla and four others on hunger strike were in “imminent danger of dying” and called on Israel to transfer them to hospital and allow visits from their families.
Thousands of Palestinian detainees are refusing food to protest Israeli policies, including detention without charge, denial of family visits and solitary confinement.
On Wednesday, protesters blocked the entrance to the UN office in Ramallah slamming the world body for its failure to intervene to save the hunger strikers.
A group of youth activists called Palestinians for Dignity sent a letter to Ban Ki-moon on Monday, urging him to take a “firm and vocal position in opposition to Israel’s abuse and violation of Palestinian prisoners’ rights.”
The letter added: “We note with disappointment your silence ever since this protest movement began in December 2011 with Khader Adnan’s arbitrary arrest and subsequent hunger strike.”
“This stands in stark contrast to your vocal and persistent remarks in support of formerly incarcerated Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit.”
LIVE BLOG | #UNCLOSED !
Watch Caught on Camera: Ethnic Cleansing
- Israel is NOT looking for Peace but for this: “Greater Israel” Published by Radical Settler Movement
- On Aug 30,2010 Before previous peacetalks Netanyahu VOWED NO CONCESSIONS: “Eretz Israel” stretches from the med 2 river jordan INCL West Bank & Gaza
- With his OP-ED in #NYT anny Danon confirmed Netanyahu as well: “Making the Land of Israel Whole“
- Recently: Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin said: “The land of Israel is ours in its entirety“
Netanyahu’s Likud on it’s website: “The Jordan River as a Permanent Border”
The Jordan Valley and the territories that dominate it shall be under Israeli sovereignty. The Jordan river will be the permanent eastern border of the State of Israel. The Kingdom of Jordan is a desirable partner in the permanent status arrangement between Israel and the Palestinians in matters that will be agreed upon.
“The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.“
Source: Likud platform
- Knesset to vote on full Israeli annexation of the West Bank
- Read what Israel thinks about US: Netanyahu: ‘America is a thing you can move very easily
- Netanyahu: ‘We won’t renew settlement freeze to lure PA to talks’
- Israel plans 1000′s more settlement units as legislators call for FULL ANNEXATION of the WEST BANK
- Ayalon: Settlement in Jerusalem not for discussion | October 16, 2011
- Occupation planning to build 1.000.000 housing unites in next 10 years | October 26, 2011
- Read, what Leaders of Zionism spoke about the Endlösung for Palestine
- Israel’s Endlösung is going on for 63 years. List of All massacres
- The massacre which is NOT covered by your local media: 2011
- What is being ignored: Gaza Under Attack – in pictures
- Save yourself time, Forget all details. It is only about this : Ethnic Cleansing
- MK Danon intros bill to annex West Bank: “The tree that Abbas climbed up cld produce the fruit of the Zionist endeavor”/a>
- Israeli cabinet may respond to UNESCO vote with ‘punitive’ settlement construction | Ynet Nov 1, 2011
- Likud MK: “Delete” Gaza neighborhood for each rocket fired – Nov 10, 2011
- Israeli Jews brainwashed for final ethnic cleansing
- >Netanyahu: “I will sign a permanent agreement only if it includes Israel’s remaining in the Jordan Valley.” | Jan 30, 2012
Latest Reports of the United Nations
- New UN Report Shows Sharp Rise In Palestinians Uprooted By Israeli Demolitions – IMEMC – Jan 27, 2012
- Report OCHA – Demolitions & Forced Displacement – Year 2011 – Report | PDF
Israel’s Jerusalem municipality plans to build more than 50,000 (updated Dec 3, 2011: 85.000) new homes in the city’s occupied eastern sector over two decades:
- 23,628 homes have already been approved, 20,263 in East Jerusalem and 3,365 in the west.
- 13,824 are pending review, 12,819 in East Jerusalem and 1,005 in the west.
- 23,266 housing units are still in planning stages, 19,281 in the east and 3,985 in the west.
Of these, the municipality plans:
- 10,366 homes in northern East Jerusalem, including illegal Israeli settlement Pisgat Zeev and Palestinian town Beit Hanina.
- 5,239 homes in southern East Jerusalem, including Gilo settlement and Palestinian district Beit Safafa.
- 4,886 new units in central eastern Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan and Jerusalem’s Old City.
Besides this, Israel approved plans to ethnic cleanse 57.000 bedouin from Palestine
Save yourself time. It is only about this : Ethnic Cleansing