Israeli air strikes hit the cabinet headquarters of Gaza’s Hamas government. (AFP Photo / Mohammed Abed)
The eight-day Israeli assault on Gaza has resulted in $300 million in economic damage, a Palestinian Chamber of Commerce report concludes. The document also calls for the Gaza Strip to be recognized as an economic disaster area.
The report covered damages to the agricultural, health and social sectors. The occupied territory’s agrarian segment suffered $120 million in damage. The eight-day halt to economic activities resulted in $40 million lost. The rest of the sum comes from destroyed buildings and infrastructure that was impaired by Israeli airstrikes, Xinhua reported.
To deal with the disastrous economic consequences of the raid, the report calls for a lift of Israeli restrictions on Gaza in accordance with the truce that ended the operation on Wednesday.
Besides economic damage, the Israeli response to Hamas’ rocket attacks killed 168 Palestinians, most them civilians.
Tel Aviv began striking Gaza last week with a declared goal of stopping rocket attacks on its territory from Hamas, the political party governing Gaza. Hamas’ military had intensified its bombardment of Israeli territory, killing six Israelis, including five civilians, according to official reports.
The Israeli Cabinet authorized a call-up of 75,000 reserve troops as the air assault on Gaza intensified, and amid growing speculation of a ground invasion into the territory.
However, the ground operation was halted after an international diplomatic effort brokered by Egypt, resulting Wednesday in a ceasefire deal.
Among many conditions of the truce, the agreement stipulates that Gaza’s crossings should be opened to facilitate the movement of people and goods, and that residents’ free movements should not be restricted, while “all Palestinian factions shall stop all hostilities from the Gaza Strip against Israel, including rocket attacks and all attacks along the border.”
Palestinian firefighters try to extinguish a fire at the Civilian Affairs branch of the Ministry of Interior following an Israeli air raid in Gaza City. (AFP Photo / Marco Longari)
Smoke billows as debris flies from the explosion at the local Al-Aqsa TV station in Gaza City. (AFP Photo / Marco Longari)
A Palestinian man inspects a destroyed branch of the Islamic National Bank following an Israeli air strike in Gaza City. (AFP Photo / Mahmud Hams)
A Palestinian man pushes his bicycle amidst debris near the destroyed compound of the internal security ministry in Gaza City after it was targeted by an Israeli air strike. (AFP Photo / Mahmud Hams)
Palestinians school girls climb over the rubble in a classroom, damaged during last week’s Israeli offensive. (AFP Photo / Mohammed Abed)
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read: The History of Resistance | The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic | All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… | Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation 2011 *
- Special Topic | Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza | A “cover-up for settlement activity
- UN: Israel killed 2,300 & injured 7,700 people in Gaza in 5 years | Source
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
- March 23, 2012 | Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
- March 18, 2012 | A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
Click on the thumbnails to view the full albums
Martyred By Israeli Occupation Attacks
انّا للہ و انّا الیه راجعون
May Allah Subhana wa Ta’ ala grant the Shuhada Jannatul Firdaus, and ease it for their families, loved ones and anyone around them. Allahumma Ameen ya Rabbil Alameen. ‘ Inna Lillahi wa ‘ Inna ‘ Ilayhi Raji’un, Allahu Akbar
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.