Youth activist killed and eight others wounded in Hebron after Israeli troops use live fire on protesters.
Al Jazeera | March 13, 2013
Israeli troops have killed a Palestinian and injured at least eight others during clashes in a flashpoint district of the occupied West Bank.
Twenty two-year-old Mahmoud AlTiti was killed after Israeli forces broke into a camp in Fuwar near the city of Hebron on Tuesday, and opened fire on a group of Palestinians who were throwing stones.
The hospital where AlTiti died said that he was shot by some kind of an explosive bullet to the head.
An Israeli military spokeswoman, citing the results of an initial investigation, said the troops had been attacked with fire-bombs on a nearby road and pursued the assailants into Fuwar, where they encountered the stone-throwers.
“Those that were in need of medical attention were evacuated to a (Palestinian) hospital where one of the suspects died,” she said, adding that the Israeli military was conducting an inquiry into the incident.
Palestinians have complained in recent weeks of the use of live fire by Israeli forces, who say they only use live fire in situations considered life-threatening.
According to Palestinian officials, Titi was the sixth Palestinian killed by Israeli fire in clashes in the Occupied West Bank since the beginning of this year.
The incident has stoked tensions ahead of a visit by US President Barack Obama next week that has been billed as a bid to encourage new peacemaking.
Obama is expected to fly in on March 20 for separate talks with Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and, in the West Bank, with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
Palestinian frustration at the stalled diplomacy has been fanned by Israel’s expansion of West Bank settlements.
They have also taken to the streets to protest against Israel’s jailing of thousands of their countrymen.
RELATED IN MEDIA
- March 12, 2013 | Palestinian Killed By Army Fire In Hebron. Muhammed was killed by an Israeli dumdum in the head – IMEMC News Agency
- March 12, 2013 | Israeli forces shoot, injure 2 in clashes southern Hebron – Arab World 360
- March 12, 2013 | Palestinian Killed by Army Fire in Al Khalil – Qassam Website
- March 13, 2013 | Palestinian Killed. Others injured in clashes with IOF forces in Hebron – PNN English
- March 13, 2013 | Israeli forces killed a Palestinian in West Bank – worldbulletin
- March 13, 2013 | Israeli troops kill Palestinian, injure several in West Bank clashes – Russia Today
- March 13, 2013 | Palestinian Killed in Clashes with Israeli Forces in Hebron – Qatar News Agency
- March 13, 2013 | Young Palestinian shot dead by Israeli troops near Hebron – Maan News Agency
- March 13, 2013 | IOF kill One Palestinian, wound Ten Others in Hebron – DRAH
- March 13, 2013 | Illegal Israeli bullet claims a Palestinian life – Al Akhbar English
- March 13, 2013 | Newspapers Review: Dailies Highlight Killing near Hebron - Palestine News Agency
- March 13, 2013 | Thousands of Palestinians mourn martyr Teeti – PIC
- March 13, 2013 | Thousands attend funeral of man killed by Israeli army – Maan News
- March 13, 2013 | 4 injured at protests over al-Teiti killing – Maan News
- March 13, 2013 | Former Palestinian media & journalism student killed by Israeli troops in West Bank – CNN
- March 13, 2013 | Israel kills Palestinian with banned bullets – Al Bawaba
- March 13, 2013 | Former prisoner killed in clashes with Israeli forces – MEMO
- March 13, 2013 | Activist Teeti killed in Fawar refugee camp confrontations – PIC
- March 14, 2013 | Palestinians hold funeral for Mahmoud al-Titi, shot by Israeli troops – PressTV
- March 14, 2013 | Student shot to death and many others injured during night raid in Al Fawwar camp , Hebron | ISM Palestine
- Funeral of Palestinian student killed by Israel, Aboud – Mar. 8, 2013 | Photography at ICAI2