The Israeli regime has recently increased its military activities in the occupied Syrian territory of Golan Heights.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the Israeli military source told Xinhua on Wednesday that the new unit would be the Israeli regime’s fifth regional division to operate in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
The Israeli daily Haaretz also reported that the decision had been finalized by Israeli Chief of Staff Lt. Gen Benny Gantz earlier this week.
The regime in Tel Aviv has recently increased its military activities in the occupied Syrian territory of Golan Heights.
On June 26, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that military maneuvers may be carried out in the occupied Golan Heights in the near future, the Times of Israel reported.
The Israeli military has also been behind a number of aerial assaults on the Syrian soil over the past months.
On May 5, the Israeli military launched an airstrike on the Jamraya Research Center in a suburb of the Syrian capital Damascus.
The regime in Tel Aviv, along with the West and its other regional allies, are supporting over two years of deadly crisis plaguing Syria.
Israel Attacks Syria – Background
WASHINGTON (AFP) — Israel conducted an airstrike in Syria overnight targeting a weapons shipment headed for Hezbollah in southern Lebanon, US media reported.
CNN said US and Western intelligence agencies were reviewing information suggesting Israel likely conducted a strike in the night from Thursday to Friday, just as Israel was flying many warplanes over Lebanon.
But the United States does not believe Israeli warplanes entered Syrian airspace to conduct the strikes, it added.
A senior US official told NBC News that the airstrikes were likely tied to delivery systems for chemical weapons.
White House and Pentagon officials declined to comment on the reports.
But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina was quoted as telling an audience that Israel had indeed bombed Syria.
“Israel bombed Syria tonight,” Graham was cited by the Politico news website as saying in passing, without offering any further details.
Graham, who serves on the Senate Armed Services Committee, was speaking at the South Carolina Republican Party’s annual Silver Elephant fundraising dinner.
If confirmed, this would mark the second time that Israel has conducted airstrikes on Syria this year.
Earlier this month, it implicitly admitted carrying out a January airstrike on a weapons convoy in Syria thought to be en route to Lebanon’s Hezbollah — a long-time Damascus ally.
The reports on the latest strike came shortly after President Barack Obama nearly ruled out deploying US troops to Syria, saying he did not foresee a scenario in which that would be beneficial to the United States or Syria.
Speculation has mounted that the Obama administration could reverse its opposition to arming the rebels after the White House said last week that President Bashar Assad likely used chemical weapons on his people.
Obama has been reluctant to intervene in the war but faces mounting criticism that he has allowed the Assad regime to cross his own declared “red line” on using chemical weapons.
Syria: ‘Israeli strike’ hits Damascus army centre
Video by Al Jazeera
- May 4, 2013 | Israel ‘launches’ airstrike into Syria – Al Jazeera
- May 4, 2013 | Israeli warplanes ‘target weapons shipment’ in Syria – Maan News
- May 4, 2013 | Israeli strike on Syria targeted weapons shipment – AP
- May 4, 2013 | Report: Israel Responsible for Syria Strike | The Daily Beast
- May 4, 2013 | Israel launches airstrike in Syria: official – Al Akhbar
- May 4, 2013 | Israel silent on reports it bombed Syria | Maan News
- May 4, 2013 | Obama, Syria, and the Arrogance of Imperialism
| Dissident Voice
- May 4, 2013 | Stealing Syria’s Oil | Dissendent Voice
May 5, 2013
Two Palestinians Killed in Syria—
IMEMC News Tips (@imemcnewstips) May 05, 2013
- May 5, 2013 | Witnesses describe Israel’s reported attack on a military research center near Damascus “an earthquake” – RT
- May 5, 2013 | Tensions spike after new Israeli strikes in Syria – AP
- May 5, 2013 | Zahhar: Arabs must unite against Israeli attacks on Syria – Maan
- May 5, 2013 | Egypt, Arab League condemn attacks in Syria – Maan
- May 5, 2013 | Resheq: Condemnation of massacres in Syria not compatible with the events – PIC
- May 5, 2013 | Israeli aggression in Syria is provoking a war ~ by Larry Derfner at 972 Magazine
- May 5, 2013 | Arguments against intervention in Syria are losing steam
- 972 Magazine (including video)
- May 5, 2013 | Syria: Israel strike ‘opens door to all possibilities’ – Maan
- May 5, 2013 | Iran rejects Hezbollah-destined missiles – PressTV
- May 5, 2013 | Iran: Obama Approved the Israeli Attack on Syria - Global Research
- May 5, 2013 | Syria Vs. Israel : People are now paying attention ~ by @Zeinobia
- May 5, 2013 | Top Israeli reporter: Israeli attack on Syria with US support is dress rehearsal for attack on Iran. – Al Monitor
- May 5, 2013 | israel used “a new type of weapon” a senior official at the Syrian military facility that came under attack from… – Read more
- May 5, 2013 | Israel Bombs Syria, Again – Al Akhbar English
- May 5, 2013 | Hamas condemns Israeli ‘aggression’ against Syria – Maan
- May 5, 2013 | PLO official: Israeli attack on Syria ‘unjustifiable’ – Maan
- May 5, 2013 | Israel reportedly uses uranium munitions against Syria – (Article in German) – Gegenfrage
- May 5, 2013 |Israeli attack on Syria widens war — U.S. anti-war movement on alert: IAC Statement – IAC
May 6, 2013
- May 6, 2013 | ‘Israel is Obama’s fall-back plan for Syria’ – Russia Today
- May 6, 2013 | UN notes ‘concrete suspicions’ that Syrian rebels used chemical weapons – Russia Today
- May 6, 2013 | Turkish doctors say no nerve gas found in Syrian victims’ blood – Global Post
- May 6, 2013 | Israel army: Syria rockets land in Golan Heights – Maan
- May 6, 2013 | Israel raids on Syria killed at least 42 soldiers – Maan
- May 6, 2013 | General: Any arms Israel targeted in Syria not Iranian – Maan
- May 6, 2013 | Israeli airstrike in Syria aimed at Iran – AP
- May 6, 2013 | Government refuses to tell Israeli public about its airstrikes - Jews for Justice for Palestine
- May 6, 2013 | Syrian rockets hit Golan Heights – PressTV
- May 6, 2013 | China criticizes Syria raid as Netanyahu, Abbas visit – Maan
- May 6, 2013 | NGO: Israel raids on Syria killed at least 15 soldiers – Maan
- May 6, 2013 | Notes on the Israeli Assault against Syria ~ by M. Tomazy
- May 7, 2013 | Yediot Aharonot: Israel sent secret message to Assad to ease tension – Middle East Monitor
- May 7, 2013 | Turkish PM: Israel’s strikes help Assad cover massacres – Ya Libnan
- May 7, 2013 | Four U.N. Peacekeepers Seized in Golan Heights – NaharNet
- May 7, 2013 | Israel’s ‘act of war’ against Syria – Madness or cold calculation? – RT
- May 8, 2013 | Statement by Palestinian Youth Movement on Refugee Camps in Syria – Jadaliyya
- May 8, 2013 |The west and its allies cynically bleed Syria to weaken Iran – ArabWorld360
- May 8, 2013 | Syria Allegedly Grants Palestinian Group Green Light To Attack Israel – IMEMC
- May 9, 2013 | Report: 56,000 Palestinian refugees fled Syria to neighboring Lebanon, Jordan – PIC
- May 20, 2013 | Syria hits Israeli military vehicle after crossing the cease fire zone – PressTV
- May 21, 2013 | Israel warns Syria over Golan attack – PressTV (after israel attacked first, everyone pls stay focused!)
- Israel’s Weapons: A Crime on Humanity – Special Topic
- Golan – Israeli Violations of International Law – More
- Israel ”ALLOWS” US company to explore & loot oil in occupied Golan Heights – More
- The Israeli occupation the world forgot: the Golan Heights – 972-Magazine
SPECIAL TOPIC – PALESTINIAN REFUGEES