AMMAN (AFP) — Israel has bowed to pressure from UEFA to allow Arab youth football teams into the Palestinian territories, having initially denied them entry, a Jordanian official said on Friday.
Israel’s refusal to grant West Bank entry to players and coaching staff delayed the West Asia Football Federation’s Under-17′s Championship, which was to begin on Thursday.
“WAFF President (Jordan’s) Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein and FIFA’s vice-president intervened with UEFA to settle this issue,” WAFF secretary-general Fadi Zureiqat told AFP.
“Israel capitulated (to the pressure) and allowed entry permits for all the teams and officials,” he said.
“The delegations have prepared to set off for the West Bank via the King Hussein crossing (with Jordan). WAFF will hold a meeting this evening to decide the official program, following the delay.”
The Palestinian territories and their own team are to host the tournament, welcoming the Iraqi, Jordanian and Emirati under-17′s squads.
The Palestinian Football Association’s director-general told AFP: “the Israeli civil administration informed me they have issued all the permits, and the teams can begin crossing into the West Bank from today.”
The tournament would now start Sunday, he added.
Zureiqat said WAFF had sent the PFA the participating players’ and managers’ details six weeks ahead of the tournament so they could get the permits from Israel on time.
The teams were initially due to arrive three days ahead of Thursday’s scheduled start.
It is the first time an Iraqi team will travel to Palestine.
Several Arab countries refuse to play in Palestine, opposing the fact that Israel decides whether or not they can enter.
The PFA on Thursday urged world football’s governing body FIFA to expel Israel from the international federation, saying it had refused to allow several Arab youth teams into the Palestinian territories.
“We ask (FIFA) for a red card, because the yellow card has been raised now for a long time,” PFA chief Jibril al-Rujub told reporters in Ramallah.
Rujub said Israel had denied representatives of WAFF, which includes 12 Arab national football associations, permits to enter the occupied territories.
Three managers of the Jordanian football union, two UAE representatives and 13 managers and players from Iraq were refused entry, he said.
Rujub told AFP that WAFF was contacting FIFA and the European football federation UEFA, to which Israel also belongs, to “put pressure on Israel to issue the necessary permits” for the tournament to go ahead.
Israel was due to supply permits for all the teams by Aug. 10.
Palestine is also due to host the WAFF Under-21′s Youth Championship in the first week of October.
FC Barcelona hands out UNICEF “PEACE TOUR” shirts to warcriminals Netanyahu and Peres
Aug 5, 2013 | by occpal
This photo above is the most revolting show off of propaganda and normalization ever seen during the FC Barcelona visit to Palestine and what is called Israel.
Warcriminals Netanyahu and Peres holding shirts stating “PEACE TOUR” and “UNICEF”
For your information, of all who are not witnessing Israel’s achievements (nor in your media) because it is manipulated, silenced or altered:
- Israel killed 1519 children since the year 2000, this means: one child, every 3 days, for over the past 13 years. (Source)
- One of these children was the 13 year old Hamid, assassinated by Israel while playing football (Source)
- Israel kidnaps, detains, abuses and even tortures children (Source)
- The youngest child arrested by Israel was only 5 years old (Source and Video of arrest)
- Torture of Palestinian children is institutionalized and common practice for Israel (Source) 87% – Children subjected to some form of physical violence while in custody. (Source)
- Even the UN accused Israel of torturing children (Source)
- And the Israeli Defense Forces beat and kick children aged from 4 til 16 (Source)
- The Israeli Defense Forces attack schoolchildren. Structurally. Their response? ” We Don’t Care” (Source)
- At the very moment FC Barcelona is kicking balls WITH kids, an Israeli soldier is KICKING KIDS (Video)
- This army, which is even literally boasting about killing Palestinian Children (Source | Warning: only click if you can handle graphic content)
- Blog linked to Israeli army calls for murder of Palestinian children (Electronic Intifada)
- Settlers in the west bank use cars as weapons, for hit and run attacks until DEATH. The picture of one attack even received an award in Israeli media (Source)
- Watch this video to see the psychological damage done by Israel to children (Source)
- Israel deprives people, including children of medical care. Even until they die (Source/Video) Like over 173 other children (Source)
- Not only bullets and bombs kill Palestinian Children. In the over 40 year occupation and mass imprisonment of the Occupied Palestinian Territory (current population about 4 million), post-1967 excess deaths total 0.3 million and post-invasion under-5 infant deaths total 0.2 million. (Research by Dr. Gideon Polya)
- Israel denies permits to children in need of treatment, in violation with Art 55 and 56 of the Fourth Geneva Convention (Source)
- Israel indoctrinates it’s own children, until a level which can easily be called child-abuse. Witness it yourself in this video and resources
- Attacks on children by Israel are unprecedented (Source)
- Children, working as gravel collectors to support their families in Gaza are being shot by snipers (Report by DCI Palestine)
- Solely last month July, Israel has detained 35 minors (Source)
- Israel imprisoned and prosecuted 193 children in June (Source)
- 5 Palestinian children are facing life sentence in jail, without any evidence nor documentation of any crimes, the Hares Children (Source)
- Israel collectively punishes children of Gaza (Video)
- Israel assassinated 352 children in the 22 day Cast lead was in Gaza (Source)
- Watch the video: Stolen Lives (Source)
- All posts on this blog concerning Children (Link)
- European leaders have spoken out about the Israeli treatment of children (Source)
- 36 babies have not even been born due to deliberate obstruction of medical aid to their pregnant mothers at Israeli checkpoints. (Source)
The same Peres holding the FC Barcelone T-Shirt above, wrote:
“No crime is more heinous than the killing of a child” – Shimon Peres – Dec 15, 2012
Click to enlarge the letter
Watch the children of the genocide on Palestine
- Children – During Cast Lead – In Photos
- Children – During ongoing attacks of the last 2 years – In Photos
Shame on you FC Barcelona and UNICEF for exploiting the Palestinian cause for your own PR!
This is no peace tour. The ‘campaign shirt’ would be living up to reality of Israeli Apartheid if it stated “Normalization Tour”
So to all bigoted journalists and press, sustaining the myths and lies, and likely disseminating the PEACE TOUR T-Shirt all around, I have a message for you:
- Watch the gallery about Children, and imagine… THIS COULD HAVE BEEN YOUR CHILD!
Related in media
FC Barcelona: clinics in Israel , Palestine normalise occupation – AIC News
Update Aug 5, 2013
VIDEO | FC Barcelona Cancel Match in Tel Aviv after Palestinian Protest, 5-8-2013
Published on Aug 5, 2013
Even though Barcelona FC cancelled their proposed match in Ramat Gan, Tel Aviv, on 31-7-2013 on account of the torching of 11 of their soccer jerseys on razor wire at the Apartheid-Annexation Wall in Bil’in in disgust at their breaking of the Palestinian call for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israel, it wasn’t a clear cut moral victory as Barcelona FC just attenuated their act a little and went ahead anyways and gave their imprimatur to the occupation and Israel’s many crimes against humanity and war crimes by hobnobbing with Israel’s war criminals Benjamin Netanyahu and Shimon Peres.
Update Aug 6, 2013
But not really….
Update Aug 6, 2013
Barca decided to go on with it’s normalization tour with Apartheid as reported by barca360.com
Barca Concluded in a Packed Stadium in Tel Aviv in it’s Tour of Peace
Six groups of Israeli children and Palestinian touched the ball with their idols in Bloomfield Stadium
The FC Barcelona concluded on Sunday in a packed stadium in Tel Aviv, the Tour of Peace, which has led to the West Bank and Israel, where they met with Israeli and Palestinian leaders and trained with children of both parties.
The Bloomfield in Tel Aviv, with capacity for 14,400 people, was filled with fans, mostly of young children dressed in the gear of Barca and cards to welcome the Spanish team stars.
“You are messengers of peace, you bring light to children and hope to our people. A message of peace to the Middle East. Thanks,” said the president of the State of Israel, Shimon Peres, before making a symbolic kick off in which he passed the ball to Messi, who embraced the applause of the fans.
Six groups of children Israelis and Palestinians of all ages had the opportunity to participate in the workshop with Barcelona players, with regulars who made passes, shots on goal and dribbling zig-zag. Then the team was trained separately before delivering public farewell and signed footballs.
Tel Aviv was the last stop on the mini-tour that takes the Barcelona to the Middle East, where as its president Sandro Rossel has conveyed to Israeli and Palestinian leaders, that the club tries to contribute their bit to the solution of the conflict in special agreement with the resumption of the peace talks in Washington.
After the last workshop in Israel, the delegation will leave the Barca bound for Thailand and Malaysia, periods of its Asian tour this year.