NABLUS (Ma’an) — Israeli troops stationed at Hamra checkpoint east of Nablus on Saturday shot and killed a Palestinian man, medics said.
Onlookers identified the victim as 25-year-old Khaldoun Sammoudi, of Al-Yamun village near Jenin.
Palestinian Red Crescent medics said forces initially declared the area a closed military zone and ordered ambulances to stay 300 meters away.
An Israeli military spokesman said a man approached the checkpoint in a taxi, then got out of the vehicle and ran towards forces holding a suspicious object and shouting “Allah Akbar.” He did not heed orders to stop and forces followed operational procedures and shot him, the army official said.
The spokesman said the man was carrying a pipe bomb, and that the area was declared a closed military zone while soldiers neutralized it.
Forces also found an explosive device and a knife on the man’s body, he added.
When the man left the taxi, all the other passengers fled the scene, the spokesman said.
An eyewitness told Ma’an’s correspondent that Sammoudi stepped out of a car and approached the checkpoint in a hurry. Some of the soldiers ran away while another soldier ordered Sammoudi to stop and then opened fire at him, the witness said.
He added that soldiers stripped the man of his clothes and left him to bleed to death.
Onlookers said forces also violently beat a Palestinian man identified as Amir Al-Kharraz at the checkpoint. Al-Kharraz is a guard at a nearby park, witnesses said.
A military spokesman was not aware of the incident.
Less than a week ago soldiers shot and killed a 21-year-old Palestinian at the same checkpoint. A military spokeswoman said Ahmad Maslamani approached soldiers in an unauthorized lane carrying a glass bottle and did not heed orders to stop. Soldiers followed operational procedure and opened fire, she said.
Witnesses said the victim approached the checkpoint carrying a coca-cola can, a female soldier shouted at him and two male soldiers immediately opened fire. Medics said Maslamani’s body was riddled with bullets.
Earlier on Saturday, soldiers closed the Container Checkpoint east of Bethlehem and inspected Palestinian cars.
Following the shooting, Israeli forces erected a flying checkpoint at the entrance to the northern West Bank village of Talluza and inspected all cars and passengers.
- Tensions run high in Palestine following violent deaths | Jordan Times
- Israel death squad on the loose in WB Palestine | Press TV
- A Palestinian Youth Falls Martyr to Israeli Shooting | Qatar News Agency
- IOF executes 22-year old youth in West Bank | Ezzedeen Al-Qassam Brigades
- Israeli troops shoot dead Palestinian in West Bank | Emirates 24/7
- Israeli troops shoot dead Palestinian in West Bank | Reuters
- Israeli troops shoot young man dead east of Nablus
- IDF kills explosive-laden Palestinian youth at checkpoint | Ha’Aretz
- Palestinian carrying pipe bomb shot at Bekaot checkpoint | Jerusalem Post
- Israeli troops shoot dead Palestinian in West Bank – AlertNet | Trust.org
- Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian man at checkpoint | CNN
Another Victim in 2011 | Murdered by Israel ‘s Inhumane Occupation Forces | Khaldoun Majoud Majeb Al Samoudy, 25 years old from Al Yamoun / Jenin