21.03.11 – 13:34| PNN – Palestine News Network
Hebron – PNN Exclusive – Two Palestinian men were injured midday on Monday, one critically, when an Israeli settler opened fire at a funeral in Beit Omer village near Hebron.
Abu Sufiyan al-Adam, 55, sustained critical wounds when the settler shot him in the chest, while Eyad Al Zaakik, 33, sustained wounds in his legs. Both were taken to Hebron city hospital.
Witnesses told PNN that a settler driving on the nearby Settlers’ Road 60 stopped his car and then opened fire at a group of men from the village taking part in a funeral procession. Israeli soldiers arrived at the scene and protected the settler until he left, then fired tear gas at angry residents who were protesting the attack, witnesses told PNN.
The Israeli army deployed forces around the village and stopped villagers from reaching Settlers’ Road, which connects illegal settlements in southern West Bank with Jerusalem.
This is the second attack today by settlers on Palestinians near Hebron. Earlier on Monday, Mohamed Awad, 25, was working his land in Tuba village near Hebron when he was attacked by settlers who stabbed him and then fled the scene. The young farmer was taken to Hebron city hospital for treatment; doctors say he sustained moderate wounds after having been stabbed three times in the shoulder.
Settler and military attacks targeting Palestinian communities have been on the rise over the past two weeks. Settlers attacked Palestinian villages earlier in March when Israel evacuated a settlers’ post in the north. The attacks escalated when an unidentified attacker killed a settler family in Itamar, also in the north of the West Bank. Despite settlers’ claim that it was a Palestinian attacker, no evidence has been provided to support these allegations.