Published today (updated) 22/03/2011 16:52
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — A child, teenager and three adults were killed and ten others injured by Israeli aritllery fire which hit a home east of Gaza City on Tuesday afternoon, the second shelling and third hit of the day.
Earlier, two were injured in the same area in separate incidents involving artillery fire and a drone strike.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said investigations into the most recent incident were ongoing.
Medics collected bodies from a home on An-Nazzaz Street in the eastern part of the Ash-Shaja’iya neighborhood in Gaza City.
Adham Abu Salmiya, spokesman of the higher committee of ambulance and emergency services, said members of the Al-Hilu family were playing football outside of their home when the shell hit.
Eyewitnesses said ambulances took the injured to Ash-Shifa hospital in Gaza city.
Medics identified the dead as:
Muhammad Jihad Al-Hilu, 11
Yasser Ahed Al-Hilu, 16
Muhammad Saber Harara, 20
Yasser Hamer Al-Hilu, 50
A fifth remains unidentified.
Shortly before 10 a.m. artillery fire injured one man in the Ash-Shuja’iyya neighborhood, just after witnesses reported Israeli vehicles penetrating the Gaza Strip in the area.
The injured man was identified as a 21-year-old Gaza resident. Medics did not say if he was a civilian or member of resistance factions which have recently been engaged in ramped-up activity near the border against Israeli forces operating there.
In a second incident that took place before noon, a man was critically injured by a drone strike in the same area.
An Israeli military statement said the fire was aimed at a group “of terrorists preparing to launch an anti-tank missile at an adjacent force, and thwarted the attempt by firing towards it, confirming a hit.”
The statement said the Israeli military would “respond with determination to any firing or other terrorist activities emanating from the Gaza Strip, and will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli civilians and IDF soldiers. The IDF warns Hamas not to continue its aggression.”
Shortly before midnight the day before, a series of Israeli air strikes injured 18, including women and children.
- PCHR condemns killing of Gaza teens | Maan | Mar 23, 2011
- Barbaric Children Killers | Attending The World | Mar 23, 2011
- Haniyya Calls On UN To Protect The Palestinian People | IMEMC | Mar 23, 2011
- UN slams Israel’s Killing of Children | Press TV | Mar 23, 2011
- Children among casualties of Israeli strike, medical sources say | CNN | Mar 23, 2011
- Children Die in Israeli Gaza Attack | ThisDayLive | Mar 23, 2011
- Haniyeh asks UN Security Council to protect Gaza as it does Libya | YNet | Mar 22, 2011
- UN’s Serry condemns killing of civilians in Gaza | Maan | Mar 22, 2011
- Germans back Israelis after Gaza fighting flares | Maan | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli Air Strikes Injure 19 in Gaza | PNN | Mar 22, 2011
- 3 days after Livni urged repeat of war crimes | YNet | Mar 22, 2011
- 5 killed as Israeli tanks shell Gaza home | Maan | Mar 22, 2011
- Gaza child dies 10 days after attack | Maan | Mar 22, 2011
- New Israeli massacre against civilians of Gaza | (Video – Graphic) Ezzedeen Al Qassam Brigades | Mar 22, 2011
- Five dead in Gaza in Israeli mortar attack: Victims included children playing football, according to witnesses | AlJazeera | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli military fire kills 3 Palestinian children and their uncle, Palestinians say | Washington Post | Mar 22, 2011
- Strike on Gaza Kills Children | BBC | Mar 22, 2011
- Four Killed, 31 Injured by Israeli Attacks Targeting Gaza | PNN | Mar 22, 2011
- Children and women wounded during Israeli air raids on impoverished Gaza | ABNA | Mar 22, 2011
- At Least 3 Teenagers Killed In Israeli Attack On Gaza | RTT | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli tank fire kills four family members, Gaza hospital officials say | Haaretz | Mar 22, 2011
- See the photos of latest Gaza victims [ Arabic ] | Safa.PS | Mar 22, 2011
- IDF tank fire kills three Palestinians in Gaza | BigNewsNetwork | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli tank shell hits Gaza home | Reuters | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli Army Kills 4 Civilians In Gaza Strip | IMEMC | Mar 22, 2011
- Israel uses Arab unrest as cover to attack Gaza | Gulf News | Mar 22, 2011
- Israeli Air Force Attacks Gaza Strip, Killing Five | AIC | Mar 21, 2011
- Five Killed; 29 injured by Israeli Attacks Targeting Gaza | PNN | Mar 21, 2011
- Photos of the wounded & killed in the Israeli raid on Gaza (graphic)
- Israeli attack kills 5 Palestinians | PressTV | March 22, 2011
- Israeli tank shell kills four Gaza teens: medical officials | March 22, 2011
- Israeli tank shell hits Gaza home, five hurt: medics | March 22, 2011
Last Nights Attack March 21/22, 2011
- GOTO PAGE 1 | Attack Night of March 21/22 2011
- GOTO PAGE 2 | Attack Night of March 21/22 2011
- GOTO PAGE 3 | Attack Night of March 21/22 2011
- GOTO PAGE 4 | Attack Night of March 21/22 2011