Turkish NGO demands indictment over Gaza flotilla massacre

[ 23/04/2011 – 04:01 PM ]

ISTANBUL, (PIC)– A Turkish NGO has demanded that the Turkish public prosecutor in Istanbul files an indictment against the Israeli occupation forces that attacked the Turkish Mavi Marmara late last May as activists tried to bring humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip.

The demands came during a press statement read by protesters gathered at the Sultanahmet Courthouse on Friday evening.

A media source from the Turkish humanitarian relief fund (IHH) told our correspondent in Istanbul that the attorney of those killed in the attack, those on board, and the victims’ families were present to take part in the reading of the press statement.

The NGO’s chief member said the participants have been urgently waiting for proceedings.

Cihat Gökdemir, the attorney who represents the victims on board the attacked aid flotilla, said investigations have continued since last year by the prosecutor in Istanbul, but he has not yet made a decision to prosecute those who massacred the activists on board.

Gökdemir emphasized that perpetrators must be brought to trial as soon as possible, pointing out that the ambition of the victim’s families and participants on board is to have an arrest warrant issued against those perpetrators.

Source

Related




Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: