PCHR Weekly Report: Seven Palestinians Wounded by Israeli Gunfire Since Last Thursday

PNN – Palestine News Network – 06.05.11 – 13:44

Gaza – PNN/PCHR – Last week’s Israeli military attacks targeting Palestinians in the Gaza strip and the West Bank left seven Palestinians injured, according to the weekly report of the Palestinian Center of Human Rights (PCHR).

ImageThe report, which documents daily human rights violations in the Palestinian territories, covers the period of Thursday, April 28, 2011 to Wednesday, May 4, 2011.

Shooting:

PCHR announced that among those seven injured last week were five children and a woman, in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.  Three of the children were wounded in Bil’in village, central West Bank, as two of them were wounded when Israeli troops moved into the village on 28 April 2011 while the third child was wounded during the weekly anti wall protest in last Friday . The other four Palestinians, including two children and a woman, were wounded in an artillery shelling that targeted a house in the Gaza Strip.

In the West Bank, on 28 April 2011, Israeli troops moved into Bil’in village. Some boys gathered and stoned soldiers who immediately responded by firing bullets, rubber-coated metal bullets, tear gas canisters and sound bombs. Two children were wounded as a result and many civilians suffered gas inhalation.

PCHR added in its report that Israeli soldiers used excessive force to disperse peaceful demonstrations organized in protest to Israeli settlement activities and the construction of the annexation wall in the West Bank. As a result, a Palestinian child was wounded during the reporting period.  In addition, dozens of Palestinian civilians and international human rights defenders participating in peaceful protests in the West Bank suffered from tear gas inhalation and bruises as they were beaten by troops.

In the Gaza Strip, on 28 April 2011, four Palestinian civilians were wounded when Israeli soldiers positioned on the border east of Gaza Valley (Juhor al-Dik) village fired six artillery shells at a house belonging to Jaber Ismail Abu Said, 66. Four of the shells directly hit the house. Four civilians, including two children and a woman, were wounded as a result. The shelling also caused damages to the house, especially the second floor.

Incursions:

During the reporting period, PCHR announced that Israeli troops conducted at least 39 military incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank, during which they arrested 10 Palestinian civilians, including 4 children.  The arrested Palestinians included PLC member of Change and Reform Bloc, Ali Salim Suleiman Rumanin, 39, who was arrested from his house in Jericho, and former Minister Issa Khalil al-Jaabari, 51, who was arrested from his house in Hebron.

On 02 May 2011, Israeli soldiers moved into Izbat al-Tabib village, east of Qalqilya. They raided and searched a house belonging to Bayan al-Tabib, Chairman of the Village Council. Al-Tabib told a PCHR fieldworker that soldiers stole 1,000 Jordanian dinars from his house.

PCHR noted in its report that Israeli soldiers have continued to attempt to prevent international human rights defenders from participating in peaceful assemblies against settlement activities and the construction of the annexation wall. As part of these attempts, soldiers arrested eight international human rights defenders, including three ones who were arrested on 29 April 2011 in a peaceful protest in Nabi Saleh, northwest of Ramallah, and the other five ones were arrested on 01 May 2011 when troops attacked a protesting tent in Izbat al-Tabib village, east of Qalqilya.

In the Gaza strip, at approximately 15:00 on Sunday, 01 May 2011, Israeli authorities informed Khalil Mousa Issa al-Silawi, 41, that his son, Khaled Khalil al-Silawi, 21, is detained in Ashkelon prison in Beersheba in Israel. Al-Silawi said that his son disappeared on Saturday, 30 April 2011, and they searched for him until they were informed about his detention. He also said that the Israeli authorities asked him to appoint a lawyer for his son. They also told him that his son is denied visitation right until 08 May 2011. Silawi indicated that he does not know any detail as to how his son was captured by the Israeli army.

Source

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: