OCHA: More Palestinians displaced this year than 2009, 2010

[ 01/08/2011 – 10:36 AM ]

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– The UN Organization for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the occupied Palestinian territories has issued a report documenting that home demolitions in Area C of the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem this year had nearly doubled when compared to the same period of last year.

The document reveals that more people have been displaced so far this year than in 2009 or 2010.

On July 24, 28 Bedouins including 20 children were left homeless after Israeli authorities demolished five residences, four animal structures, and five outdoor kitchens in Mughayir and Deir Bedouin community near Ma’ale Mikhmas settlement in Ramallah governorate, the report says.

Also highlighted in the report was that orders to stop-work were issued against 34 Palestinian-owned structures in the West Bank in the week of 20-26 July. Two families were issued eviction notices there as well, it adds.

Also in that time frame, at least four settler attacks were recorded where injuries to Palestinians or damage to their property occurred. In one incident, among the injured were three women and a child aged 7.

That week, the report says, around 110 Bedouins residing near Ma’ale Mikhmas settlement packed up their tents and were forcibly displaced amid fears of settler violence after an assault a week earlier that injured three children.

Source

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: