Israel forms team to fight lawsuits over flotilla attack


Related: The Mavi Marmara Massacre


[ 02/09/2011 – 01:56 PM ]

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– Israel has decided to form a special legal team to fight possible lawsuits against its military staff in the international criminal courts.

The Israeli Attorney General and Ministry of Justice have been bracing for likely lawsuits against Israel’s military personnel who participated in the lethal attack of the Gaza-bound Mavi Marmara ship that killed nine activists on board, Israeli media outlets said.

According to reports, the team consisting of legal experts and consultants will weigh all judicial and legal dimensions enveloping the possibility. The Israeli military leadership has already officially approved the move.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed last month to move to Plan B should Tel Aviv continue to refrain from apologizing over the attack before the release of the Palmer report.

The UN commissioned report into the attack was officially slated to be released Friday but was leaked to the New York Times earlier on Thursday.

According to the Plan B, Turkey threatened to diminish its diplomatic, military, and economic relations with Israel. On Friday, after the report was released, the Israeli ambassador to Turkey was expelled and military ties were frozen.

Top Israeli legal experts told media outlets that the Palmer report could open the door for the prosecution of Israeli military personnel.

Source

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: