PA chief shrugs off ‘US threats’


Related: ▣ FAQ ▣ Palestine Statehood Bid


PressTV –  Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28AM GMT

Acting Palestinian Authority Chief Mahmoud Abbas
Acting Palestinian Authority (PA) Chief Mahmoud Abbas says the Palestinians will not stop their struggle for UN membership despite threats by the United States.

“We will go to the UN to obtain international recognition for the state of Palestine, despite the obstacles and dangers, including US threats to halt 470 million dollars in annual assistance,” he said in an interview with Jordan’s newspaper al-Rai on Sunday.

The Palestinian Authority has declared September 20 as the date when it would apply for United Nations recognition of Palestine as an independent state.

The United States cannot block the UN General Assembly vote for the change of Palestine’s status in the world body from entity to state, but it can later veto the move at the Security Council.

“If Washington uses a veto against us, this does not mean a boycott. We have had our differences with the US in the past. Anyway, we will take a suitable decision in line with developments,” Abbas explained.

The PA chief also denied reports that there was any disagreement between Jordan and the PA about Palestine’s recognition in the UN.

More than 100 countries have so far officially recognized Palestine as a sovereign state based on the 1967 borders, the boundaries that existed before Israel captured and annexed East al-Quds (Jerusalem), the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

AGB/JG/HJL

Related Stories:

Source

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: