Truth does not matter for “Israel”. Buttons Do. To mute.
Video link: http://youtu.be/pWKPRC-_oSg
Alternate Focus interviews Nurit Peled-Elhanan, author of the forthcoming book Palestine in Israeli School Books: Ideology and Propaganda in Education. Nurit Peled-Elhanan argues that the textbooks used in the school system are laced with a pro-Israel ideology, and that they play a part in priming Israeli children for military service. She analyzes the presentation of images, maps, layouts and use of language in History, Geography and Civic Studies textbooks, and reveals how the books might be seen to marginalize Palestinians, legitimize Israeli military action and reinforce Jewish-Israeli territorial identity.
NOTE: Nurit Peled-Elhanan is a Professor of language and education at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, an Israeli peace activist, and one of the founders of the Bereaved Families for Peace. After the death of Elhanan’s 13 year-old daughter in a 1997 suicide bombing, she became an outspoken critic of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.
Last 5 posts by Haitham Sabbah
- The Story of Palestine – November 29th, 2011
- We teach life, sir – November 14th, 2011
- ACT NOW!! BOATS SAILING NOW TO GAZA! SPREAD THE WORD – November 3rd, 2011
- Israeli military covers up evidence showing Eilat attack was not carried out by Palestinians – October 25th, 2011
- Show Your Solidarity for Palestinian Prisoners – October 7th, 2011