#BREAKING | #PalHunger | Israeli supreme court rejects Palestinian hunger strikers Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahleh appeals (updated)

Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahleh’s Appeals to High Court Rejected

by Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 1:49pm ·

Both Thaer Halahleh and Bilal Diab’s petitions to the Israeli High Court regarding their administrative detention orders were rejected today. They are on their 70th day of hunger strike and at immediate risk of death. In complete disregard to their critical medical condition, the Court stated in their decision that “hunger strikes are not relevant to decide on length of administrative detention as such”.

The Court recommended in Thaer’s case that since he has already spent nearly two years in administrative detention, the Israeli Security Service should investigate more in depth before extending his detention order to see if there are any possible alternatives to administrative detention. The Court further stated that if his detention order is extended, a more thorough interrogation should occur. The Court reiterated that these recommendations were irrespective of his hunger strike.

In Bilal’s case, the Court also suggested that if his administrative detention order is renewed, and his health permits extended detention, he should also be re-interrogated. The Court recommended that the Security Service shorten his order from 6 months to 3 or 4 months, to allow for a closer date of judicial review.

Addameer will issue a statement shortly including further legal analysis and implications of the decision and our grave fears for the lives of Bilal and Thaer.


Israeli supreme court rejects Palestinian hunger strikers appeals

Al Akhbar | Monday, May 7, 2012

Israel’s Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal by two Palestinian prisoners who have been on hunger strike for 69 days in protest at being held without charge, their lawyer said.

“The Supreme Court refused both appeals,” Jamil Khatib said of the prisoners’ appeals against their administrative detention, which were lodged at Israel’s highest court last Thursday.

More to follow

AFP, Al-Akhbar



Al Jazeera coverage | May 7, 2012

Israel Supreme Court rejects plea by two Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in protest at being held without charge.

The two men are among hundreds of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike to demand better conditions [AFP]
Israel’s Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by two Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in protest at being held without charge, their lawyer has said.

The two prisoners, Bilal Diab, 27, and Thaer Halahleh, 34, have been on hunger strike for 70 days.

“The Supreme Court refused both appeals,” Jamil Khatib told the AFP news agency on Monday of the prisoners’ appeals against their administrative detention.

“Israeli courts do not handle administrative detention in a positive way. It shows that the intelligence services have the final word.

“They will continue their strike till the end,” Khatib said.

A ruling on the appeals was postponed after being lodged at Israel’s highest court last Thursday, WAFA, the Palestinian News and Information Agency reported last week.

The two men are among hundreds of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike to demand better conditions and an end to detention without trial in one of the biggest prison protests in years.

Ten Palestinian prisoners participating in the mass hunger strike were placed under medical supervision on Saturday as their conditions worsened, a spokeswoman for Israel’s prison service previously said.

At least 1,550 are taking part, although activists have said the figure is as high as 2,500 out of 4,600 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.

Health concerns

Most of those participating began refusing food 19 days ago, but a smaller core have been striking for periods ranging from 40 to almost 70 days.

Hundreds of Palestinians held rallies over the weekend to demand the prisoners’ release.

Diab was moved to a civilian hospital last week. An independent doctor with Physicians for Human Rights-Israel (PHR-I) said then that he was at immediate risk of death.

Both Diab and Halahleh, were suffering “acute muscle weakness” which prevented them from standing, Addameer, a Palestinian prisoner rights group, said via PHR-I.

On Friday, a Hamas leader warned Israel of consequences if any of the Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike die in jail.

“You must realise that the hunger strike isn’t a party, and we could be surprised by the death of some of them,” Khalil al-Haya said in Gaza City. “If that happens, you can expect both the expected and the unexpected from us.”

Halahleh was arrested on June 28, 2010 and has been held in administrative detention ever since, while Diab has been held since August 17, 2011.

Administrative detention is an antiquated procedure that allows suspects to be held without charge for periods of up to six months, which are renewable indefinitely.

Israeli officials say they use the procedure to hold Palestinians who pose an immediate threat to the country’s security.

Source & Check for updates at  Al Jazeera

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: