Israel’s army yet to name target of al-Dalou family attack

Maan News Agency | Dec 9, 2012

A Palestinian relative of four sibling children of the al-Dalou family,  who were killed in an Israeli air strike, reacts as he stands next their  bodies at a hospital in Gaza City November 18, 2012.  (Reuters/Mohammed Salem)

A Palestinian relative of four sibling children of the al-Dalou family,
who were killed in an Israeli air strike, reacts as he stands next their
bodies at a hospital in Gaza City November 18, 2012.
(Reuters/Mohammed Salem)

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Accused of committing a war crime by a leading human rights group, Israel’s army will still not identify the target of an airstrike on Gaza City that killed 10 relatives and two neighbors.

Israeli planes bombed the al-Dalou family home on Nov. 18, crushing to death two men, six women and four children, whose ages ranged from one to 83.

Human Rights Watch said Friday the strike “was a clear violation of the laws of war.”

“The Israeli claim that the attack on the al-Dalou home was justified is unsupported by the facts,” said HRW’s Fred Abrahams, who investigated the case in Gaza.

HRW noted “different explanations” from army officials over the attack, which is supported by a Ma’an review of available records and interviews with an army representative.

Yehiya Rabia or Muhammad al-Dalou?

On the day of the attack, Israel’s military named the target as Yehiya Rabia, described as the head of Hamas’ rocket launching unit. “There were civilians harmed by this,” army spokesman Yoav Mordechai told Israeli TV, saying he didn’t know the outcome of the strike on Rabia.

An Israeli military spokeswoman later told Ma’an that Rabia was not targeted during the eight-day war on Gaza, and his name never appeared on Israel’s list of militants it had killed.

Later that Sunday, army spokeswoman Avital Leibovich told the New York Times the strike had been an “accident.”

A day after the strike, Israeli newspaper Haaretz quoted an Israeli army report saying the mistaken attack was likely a technical failure: either a bomb misfired or the target was not identified correctly.

But ten days on, Leibovich told AFP that the army had in fact targeted a family member, Muhammad al-Dalou, describing him as a Hamas militant.

“There was no mistake from the IDF. It’s tragic when a terror operative is hiding among civilians but unfortunately it is part of Hamas and Islamic Jihad tactics,” she said on Nov. 28.

Human Rights Watch, noting that Muhammad al-Dalou is described by his commander and a police spokesman as a member of a civilian force protecting VIPs, does not find the shifting rationales convincing.

“Israel’s belated effort, once it could scour the list of victims, to defend the attack by naming a civilian police officer found among the dead suggests an after-the-fact attempt to justify the unjustifiable,” Abrahams said.

‘Not everything is known’

Questioned by Ma’an twice in the past week about the strike, Leibovich denied she had identified Muhammad al-Dalou as the target.

“What I said is that the targets we picked were not innocent civilians,” she said last Sunday.

Declining to comment on whether the intended target was killed, or the target’s name, she explained: “In this large scale operation there are many sites targeted, sometimes you can’t know ahead or you don’t know the result.”

Asked again for the target’s name after Friday’s HRW report, Leibovich told Ma’an: “Not everything is known at this point.”

Meanwhile, she continued to describe the target as a Hamas militant “who used the house as a hiding place.”

Leibovich said an army investigation was ongoing, and noted the al-Dalou family home was just one of over 1,500 sites hit during the war.

When asked if the al-Dalou strike might be prioritized as an incident for investigation due to the high civilian casualties, she said “we are looking at the operation as a whole, there are different types of investigations, different areas … with the airforce, intelligence.”

Army investigations

Investigation procedures by Israel’s army have been criticized by human rights groups in the country.

In May this year, the army closed an investigation into an airstrike on the al-Samouni home in Gaza that killed 21 civilians over three years earlier, during Israel’s Operation Cast Lead.

The Military Advocate General said there was no evidence of wrongdoing and declined to pursue disciplinary or criminal measures, a response described by Israeli group B’Tselem as “unacceptable.”

B’Tselem director Jessica Montell wrote at the time: “The al-Samouni case only illustrates the broader problem regarding the military’s ability to examine itself.”

After the al-Dalou family killing, three human rights groups, one based in Israel and two in Gaza, wrote to the Military Advocate General demanding a criminal investigation be opened. They have yet to receive a response.

Human Rights Watch said Friday the “onus is on Israel to explain why it bombed a home full of civilians killing 12 people.”

“Even if al-Dalou, a low-ranking police officer, was a legitimate military target under the laws of war, the likelihood that the attack on a civilian home would have killed large numbers of civilians made it unlawfully disproportionate,” the group said.

Avoiding civilian casualties

Leibovich insists that civilians were not the target of the strike, and blamed militants for hiding amongst civilians, but would not specify what measures were taken to avoid casualties in the al-Dalou airstrike.

In general, she said, the army drops leaflets, sends messages, and drops warning devices to avoid harming civilians.

“Even if we didn’t call them, and I’m not saying we didn’t, we conveyed messages to Gaza through Palestinian media channels,” she said.

Israel’s army took over broadcast frequencies in Gaza during the assault, describing the measure as a way to communicate to the people of Gaza.

Meanwhile, the sole survivor of the airstrike, 16-year-old Nasser Saluha, told Human Rights Watch that “he had gone to the house to play with the other children and they were about to eat lunch in an upstairs room when the house was struck without any warning.”

Nasser, whose brother Samah was killed in the strike, described the strike to HRW: “I felt a shock and pressure and something was pulling me into the ground. I found myself lying on my back with dust and sand all over my body. I managed to get out of the rubble and run into the street.”

Eight of his relatives and two neighbors were pulled out of the rubble dead that day. It took another five days to retrieve the bodies of the final two casualties, 17-year-old Yara al-Dalou, and 29-year-old Muhammad.
(end)

Related Report



For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:

The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine


MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA

  • The “Rocket” from Gaza MythPhotography
  • More facts about the Rocket from Gaza MythsStorify
  • Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
  • Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
  • Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
  • Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This


FEATURED




PHOTOGRAPHY

Click on the thumbnails to view the full albums

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 21, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 20, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 19, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 18, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 17, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 16, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 15, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 14, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 11, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 10, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 8, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Nov 5, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct 29, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct 28, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct 24, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct 22, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct 7, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Sept 29, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Sept 19, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Sept 10, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack – Sept 6, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Aug 5, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack July 12, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack June 23, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack June 1-22, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack May 17, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack April 4, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 14, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 13, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 12, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 11, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 10, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack March 20, 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack February 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack January 2012

Photos #GazaUnderAttack December 2011

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Oct & Nov 2011

Photos #GazaUnderAttack Aug-Sept 2011

PHOTOS | Israel’s Massacre Cast Lead on Gaza 2008-2009




.

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

Martyred By Israeli Occupation Attacks

انّا للہ و انّا الیه راجعون

May Allah Subhana wa Ta’ ala grant the Shuhada Jannatul Firdaus, and ease it for their families, loved ones and anyone around them. Allahumma Ameen ya Rabbil Alameen. ‘ Inna Lillahi wa ‘ Inna ‘ Ilayhi Raji’un, Allahu Akbar

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ



* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.

For an overview of All Israeli Massacres Palestinians go here

Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.

How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.





Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: