Israel has “started” to operate segregated buses. But not really ‘started’.
Already in November 2011, activists challenged the segregated illegal settler buses Rosa Parks Style with the #FreedomRides. Challenging segregation and racism in the same way like Rosa Parks did when she was refused entry in a bus on December 1, 1955.
After Nazi empire segregated the Jews with Jew Only transportation, camps, even benches in a parc and you name it and more, Israel takes a retake of the racism in 2013 with buses. ”Nur für Palestinenzer” (Only for Palestinians)
Where did we see this before….. oh yes, Warsaw ghetto WorldWar II. In this video at 23 min 39 you can see a “Nur für Juden” Straßenbahn (Only for Jews) transportation in action.
Below an overview of related news.
Arson attack on buses operating Palestinian-only lines
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Two vehicles belonging to Israeli company Afikim were torched Monday south of Qalqiliya, a day after the bus operator began two Palestinians-only lines in the occupied West Bank, Israeli police said.
“During the early hours of the morning two buses were torched in Kafr Qassem. Police arrived at the scene and are investigating who was behind the incident,” Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld told Ma’an.
The background of the incident is unclear and the investigation is ongoing, he added.
Drivers from the Israeli company were asked to remove all buses from the Palestinian-Israeli town following the incident, Israeli new site Ynet reported.
The arson attack comes after Israel launched two Palestinian-only bus lines in the occupied West Bank on Monday, a step an Israeli rights group described as racist.
“Creating separate bus lines for Israeli Jews and Palestinians is a revolting plan,” Jessica Montell, director of the B’Tselem rights group, said on Army Radio. “This is simply racism. Such a plan cannot be justified with claims of security needs or overcrowding.”
The Israeli Transport Ministry said the two new lines would “improve public transport services for Palestinian workers entering Israel” and replace pirate buses charging them “exorbitant prices”.
Last November, Israeli police ordered Palestinian workers off a bus at the request of settlers.
- March 4, 2013 | Israel’s new ‘Palestinian only’ segregated bus lines - Photos by ActiveStills
- March 5, 2013 | ‘Palestinian-only’ buses torched in West Bank – Al Akhbar English
- March 5, 2013 | Israel’s Palestinian-only buses ‘torched’ – Al Jazeera
- March 6, 2013 | Palestinian-only buses on West Bank stir controversy – Batsheva Sobelman and Maher Abukhater, LA Times
- March 7, 2013 | Palestinian-only buses only serve to incentivize segregation – 972 Magazine
- March 7, 2013 | Transportation in Israel: A paradise for Jews only – 972 Magazine
For who forgot: How and why “Freedom Rides” in Palestine… (Nov 2011)
FreedomRides | For Pictures click here
Human Rights Art 13:1:
“Everyone has the right 2 freedom of movement & residence within the borders of each state”
BREAKING | All detained activists have been released from Atarot prison.| Pal Time 22:43
ACTION ALERT | Freedom for the Freedom Riders! End the Israeli Occupation of Palestine!
This action is being coordinated with Jewish Voice for Peace and the Popular Struggle Coordination Committee to demand the next Freedom Riders will be granted passage, sign the petition! | CodePink | US
Press Briefing | Putting FreedomRides in context – The IMEU
Palestinian Freedom Riders to Challenge Segregation By Riding Settler Buses to Jerusalem: November 15, 2011
Palestinian activists will reenact the US Civil Rights Movement’s Freedom Rides to the American South by boarding segregated Israeli public transportation in the West Bank to travel to occupied East Jerusalem.
Palestinian activists will attempt to board segregated Israeli public transportation headed from inside the West Bank to occupied East Jerusalem in an act of civil disobedience inspired by the Freedom Riders of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement in the 60′s.
Fifty years after the U.S. Freedom Riders staged mixed-race bus rides through the roads of the segregated American South, Palestinian Freedom Riders will be asserting their right for liberty and dignity by disrupting the military regime of the Occupation through peaceful civil disobedience.
The Freedom Riders seek to highlight Israel’s attempts to illegally sever occupied East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank, and the apartheid system that Israel has imposed on Palestinians in the occupied territories.
Several Israeli companies, among them Egged and Veolia, operate dozens of lines that run through the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, many of them subsidized by the state. They run between different Israeli settlements, connecting them to each other and cities inside Israel. Some lines connecting Jerusalem to other cities inside Israel, such as Eilat and Beit She’an, are also routed to pass through the West Bank.
Israelis suffer almost no limitations on their freedom of movement in the occupied Palestinian territory, and are even allowed to settle in it, contrary to international law. Palestinians, in contrast, are not allowed to enter Israel without procuring a special permit from Israeli authorities. Even Palestinian movement inside the Occupied Territories is heavily restricted, with access to occupied East Jerusalem and some 8% of the West Bank in the border area also forbidden without a similar permit.
While it is not officially forbidden for Palestinians to use Israeli public transportation in the West Bank, these lines are effectively segregated, since many of them pass through Jewish-only settlements, to which Palestinian entry is prohibited by a military decree.
Follow Freedom Rides at Facebook!
Freedom Rides Information & Background
Inspired by the Freedom Rides of the US Civil Rights Movement Palestinian activists will attempt to board segregated Israeli settler buses to occupied East Jerusalem
ISM | Nov 13, 2011
Groups of Palestinian Freedom Riders will attempt to board segregated settler buses heading to Jerusalem through the occupied West Bank this Tuesday November 15, in an act of civil disobedience that takes its inspiration from the US Civil Rights Movement Freedom Riders aim to challenge Israel’s apartheid policies, the ban on Palestinians’ access to Jerusalem, and the overall segregated reality created by a military and settler occupation that is the cornerstone of Israel’s colonial regime. While parallels exist between occupied Palestine and the segregated U.S. South in terms of the underlying racism and the humiliating treatment suffered then by blacks and now by Palestinians, there are also significant differences. In the 1960s U.S. South, black people had to sit in the back of the bus; in occupied Palestine, Palestinians are not even allowed ON the bus nor on the roads that the buses travel on, which are built on stolen Palestinian land.
In undertaking this action Palestinians do not seek the desegregation of settler buses, as the presence of these colonizers and the infrastructure that serves them is illegal and must be dismantled. As part of their struggle for freedom, justice and dignity, Palestinians demand the ability to be able to travel freely on their own roads, on their own land, including the right to travel to Jerusalem.
Palestinian activists also aim to expose two of the companies that profit from Israel’s apartheid policies and encourage global boycott of and divestment from them. The Israeli Egged and French Veolia bus companies operate dozens of segregated lines that run through the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, many of them subsidized by the state. Both companies are also involved in the Jerusalem Light Rail, a train project that links illegal settlements in East Jerusalem to the western part of the city. By facilitating population transfer into occupied Palestinian territory, Egged and Veolia are actively and knowingly complicit in Israel’s settlement enterprise, which the International Court of Justice has determined to be a breach of international law, and particularly Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention prohibiting an occupying power from transferring part of its population into occupied territory.
This Tuesday, Palestinian Freedom Riders will head to Jewish-only bus stops in the West Bank and attempt to board the settler buses. Palestinians understand that this act of nonviolent disobedience may result in violent attacks and even death at the hands of Israeli settlers that are to Israel what the Klu Klux Klan was to the Jim Crow South, or the authorities that protect them. Nonetheless, the Freedom Riders believe that this act of civil resistance is necessary to draw the attention of the world to the immorality of Israel’s occupation and apartheid system as well as to compel justice-loving people to take a stand and divest from Egged, Veolia, and all companies that enable and profit from it.
The Freedom Riders will be joined by activists from all around the world who will stage activities in their cities that highlight the systematic oppression of Palestinians and the need to divest from Egged and Veolia.
The buses that the Freedom Riders will be boarding are operated by the Egged, the largest Israeli public transportation company, and by the French transnational company Veolia. Both companies are complicit in Israel’s violations of international law due to their involvement in and profiting from Israeli’s illegal settlement infrastructure. Palestinian Freedom Riders endorse the call for boycotting both companies, as well as all others involved in Israel’s violations of human rights and international law.
In July 2011, an Egged subsidiary won a public tender to run bus services in the Waterland region of the Netherlands, north of Amsterdam. The company makes money from trampling on the rights of Palestinians and has been a target of the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaign, which is endorsed by an overwhelming majority of Palestinian civil society. The Freedom Riders call on the people of the Netherlands to sever all dealings with companies, like Egged, involved in human rights violations.
Veolia, has been a target of an international divestment campaign or running bus lines through the West Bank connecting settlements to Jerusalem and for its involvement in the Jerusalem Light Rail which connects Israel’s illegal settlements in and around occupied East Jerusalem to the western part of the city, thereby directly servicing the settlement enterprise.
Over 42 percent of Palestinian land in the West Bank has been taken over for the building of Jewish settlements and their associated regime (including the wall which was declared illegal by the International Court of Justice in 2004), depriving local communities of access to their water resources as well as agricultural lands. Settling Israelis in the occupied Palestinian territory constitutes a war crime according to the Fourth Geneva Convention and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.
The occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip constitute only 22 percent of the Palestinian homeland from which over 750,000 Palestinians were ethnically cleansed in 1948 when the state of Israel was created. Since then, Palestinian refugees have been languishing in refugee camps and other places of exile, denied the right to return to their homes.
 B’tselem Report: “By Hook and By Crook, Israeli Settlement Policy in the West Bank,” July 2010; summary available at: http://www.btselem.org/publications/summaries/201007_by_hook_and_by_crook.
 See “Israel’s settlement policy is a war crime under the Fourth Geneva Convention,” The Palestinian Center for Human Rights, Gaza, highlighting the relevant articles of the Fourth Geneva Convention to support the determination that settlements are a war crime, at http://www.pchrgaza.org/Intifada/Settlements.conv.htm; see also “Demolitions, new settlements in East Jerusalem could amount to war crimes – UN expert,” UN News Centre, June 29, 2010, at http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=35175&Cr=Palestin&Cr1.
 Article 8(2)(b)(viii) of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court prohibits “[t]he transfer, directly or indirectly, by the Occupying Power of parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies.”
Live Updates from the bus
Ziadah:Egged & Veolia [bus companies] are actively & knowingly complicit in Israeli settlement enterprise
15:41 Pal Time | Racist settlers from Brooklyn move freely between occupied Jerusalem & rest of West Bank while Palestinians caged in ghetto #FreedomRides
15:41 Pal Time | Update: All similar buses are passing without having to stop EXCEPT bus with Palestinian activsits #Freedomrides
15:39 Pal Time: @PalFreedomRides #FreedomRides Internationals siding with Palestinian resistance to the illegal segregation in their occupied homeland.
@PalFreedomRides #FreedomRides All the posters are being held up at the checkpoint with internationals.End ColonizationFree PalestineBoycott
#FreedomRides small demonstration near checkpoint with these signs- Free Palestine, End the Occupation, We Have A Dream, End Colonization
15:37 Pal Time | @PalFreedomRides #FreedomRides DR MAZIN GAVE HIS ID TO THE ISRAELI SOLIDER AND TOLD HIM THAT HE WANTS TO GO TO JERUSALEM, TO SEE WHAT HAPPEN
15:36 Pal Time | #FreedomRides border police have confiscated Palestinian IDs and are attempting to remove Riders from bus. Riders are passively refusing
Palestinian can’t access Occupied Jerusalem because, well, they are Palestinian. #freedomrides
15:30 Pal Time | #Freedomrider Dr. Mazin Qumsiyeh: “Did u c what they did? They entered Jerusalem a few feet so that now they can charge us.” #freedomrides
15:30 Pal Time | the Border Police are cchecking #FreedomRiders IDs #Palestine
15:30 Pal Time | Qumsiyeh: By intentionally bringing bus a few feet into “Jerusalem,” Israel can now arrest #FreedomRides for illegal entry into city
15:29 Pal Time | On #FreedomLives live stream Mazin Qumsiyeh predicts riders will be arrested once bus passes into “forbidden area”
On #FreedomLives live stream Mazin Qumsiyeh predicts riders will be arrested once bus passes into "forbidden area" electronicintifada.net/blog/linah-als…—
Ali Abunimah (@AliAbunimah) November 15, 2011
15:28 Pal Time | #IOF soldiers and Police just entered the #FreedomRides bus
15:25 Pal Time | #FreedomRiders #FreedomRides are on the bus new #Hizma checkpoint now #Palestine
@PalFreedomRides #FreedomRides SETTLERS ON THE BUS ARE PULLING AWAY THE PALESTINIAN FLAG FROM FADI AND HUWAIDA, AND CAUSING PROBLEMS
15:17 Pal Time: #FreedomRides The bus has left, army and police are following behind it!
15:15 Pal Time: #IOF stopped bus! They are not allowing #FreedomRides to head to Jerusalem! #Palestine
15:09 Pal Time: #Freedomriders @PalFreedomRides NOTE: THIS IS BUS 148 TO JERUSALEM
15:08 Pal Time: #Freedomriders @PalFreedomRides THE SETTLERS ARE ON THE BUS NOW TOO
15:08 Pal Time : #FreedomRides got ON THE BUS! Press joined the activists on the bus as well! The bus is not moving yet.
15:04 Pal Time: Huwaida Arraf one of the #FreedomRiders
15:00 Pal Time | Settlers gathering near #FreedomRides activists, as well as Israeli soldiers! Once again note, that activists are NOT armed. #Palestine
15:00 Pal Time | BREAKING: Police and IDF surrounding the area #FreedomRides is supposed to take place now
14:57 Pal Time | IOF Jeep close to the #FreedomRiders
- 14:57 Pall Time; IOF Jeep close to the #FreedomRiders http://pic.twitter.com/ol08PzeS
- 15:04 Pal Time: Huwaida Arraf one of the #FreedomRiders
FreedomRides | More Pictures click here
A complete photo set by Activestills
Video of the FreedomRides in Action
Video Interview after release from prison
A brief interview, followed by the arrest of Palestinian Freedom Rider Fadi Quran, taken from the livestream of the November 15 protest. Quran was one of seven Palestinian Freedom Riders who were violently arrested while attempting to ride on segregated Israeli public transportation transporting settlers from inside the West Bank to occupied East Jerusalem in an act of civil disobedience inspired by the Freedom Riders of the U.S. civil rights movement.
In the Media
Nov 16, 2011
- Freedom Riders: I witnessed six Palestinian activists demand freedom - Nov 16, 2011
- From US South to Palestine, #FreedomRides change history
- Freedom Rides to resume in Palestine~ by Ben Lorber – Palestine Chronicle – Nov 16, 2011
- The true meaning of the #FreedomRides: the end of the Jewish state (according to @AGENDAOFTRUTH) – Nov 16, 2011
- Photo: Removing Freedom Riders while waving the banner of apartheid~ by @SamiKishawi – Nov 16, 2011
- Dr Mazen Qumisyeh, one of freedom riders got called Professor Teez (ass) during arrest by poorly raised Israeli soldier- Nov 16, 2011
Nov 15, 2011
- Palestinian ‘freedom riders’ board settlers’ bus – BBC News – Nov 15, 2011
- Israel arrests “Freedom Riders” challenging apartheid road system | Jillian Kestler-D’Amours | EI – Nov 15, 2011
- Six Palestinian #FreedomRiders arrested traveling on Israeli-only bus – Mondoweiss - Nov 15, 2011
- Freedom Riders Defy Segregration On Israeli Settler Bus Route- IMEMC – Nov 15, 2011
- The six activists, five men and one woman, said their protest was inspired by the ‘Freedom Riders
- Reuters on #freedomrides: Palestinians catch bus to protest Israeli curbs – Reuters – Nov 15, 2011
- Press Briefing on FreedomRides – The IMEU – - Nov 15, 2011
- Hear Bill Fletcher Jr. along with a Palestinian organizer of the #FreedomRides discuss the day’s events
- Palestinian Freedom Riders – Bay Area Indymedia – Nov 15, 2011
- Jewish Voice For Peace poster in solidarity with the #FreedomRides
- Alice Walker’s words of encouragement to Palestinian #FreedomRides| Alice Walker
- Angela Davis endorses Palestinian
- Palestinian Freedom Riders to challenge segregation by riding settler buses to Jerusalem | ISM | Announcement
- Inspired by the 60′s civil disobedience movement in the U.S. Civil Rights Movement | Freedom Riders in Palestine
- Sign the petition at Avaaz
- Follow @PalFreedomRides at twitter
- Mail to demand the release of palestinian “Freedom Riders”
- ACTION ALERT | PETITION | Palestinians To Ride At The Front Of The Bus
- ACTION ALERT | PETITION | CodePink | Freedom for the Freedom Riders! End the Israeli Occupation of Palestine! This action is being coordinated with Jewish Voice for Peace and the Popular Struggle Coordination Committee | CodePink | US
- Spread the word!
- Israel is NOT looking for Peace but for this: “Greater Israel” Published by Radical Settler Movement
- On Aug 30,2010 Before previous peacetalks Netanyahu VOWED NO CONCESSIONS: “Eretz Israel” stretches from the med 2 river jordan INCL West Bank & Gaza
- With his OP-ED in #NYT anny Danon confirmed Netanyahu as well: “Making the Land of Israel Whole“
- Recently: Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin said: “The land of Israel is ours in its entirety“
- Knesset to vote on full Israeli annexation of the West Bank
- Read what Israel thinks about US: Netanyahu: ‘America is a thing you can move very easily
- Netanyahu: ‘We won’t renew settlement freeze to lure PA to talks’
- Read, what Leaders of Zionism spoke about the Endlösung for Palestine
- Israel’s Endlösung is going on for 63 years. List of All massacres
- The massacre which is NOT covered by your local media: 2011
- What is being ignored: Gaza Under Attack – in pictures
- Save yourself time, Forget all details. It is only about this : Ethnic Cleansing
More Related Links to Settler Violence
- Israel Arms & Trains Illegal Settlers for Rampage in Occupied Palestine – in pictures
- Leaked document “Operation Summer Seeds”: Israeli forces train & arm settlers to attack Palestinian protesters
- MP Barghouthi warns of massacres after Israel arms, trains settlers
- Israel gives settlers weapons for September
- How US “charities” break tax laws to fund Israeli settlements | EI
- ! France’s JDL’s “Travel Agency” Call for “Militant Rampage Trip”
- Israel Warns Chemical Weapons Will Be Used Against Peaceful Palestine Protests
- Israeli settlers to be armed with dogs as well as tear gas and stun grenades
- Settler Attack dogs of the West Bank | Video | Reuters.com
- Israel approves plan to uproot 30,000 Bedouins | September 11, 2011| 972Magazine
- Forum Dukium | Coexistance forum for Negev
- Greenwashing Apartheid – Free eBook of the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
- Special Topic | Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- Special Topic | Ethnic Cleansing
- Quick Facts | 10 Facts about the Nakba
- Exclusive | Interactive map of Palestine villages destroyed during Nakba
More pictures in the Gallery Images | الصور