The Arab Organisation for Human Rights in UK has accused the US, Israel and the EU of complicity in the torture of Palestinians in the custody of the Palestinian Authority (PA). Testimony collected by the AOHR, it said in statement, “makes it clear that the PA security services practice systematic torture in its prisons without any monitoring by the judiciary”.
The US, Israel and the EU all have joint security missions with the PA, says the AOHR. “This means that they must know what is going on inside PA prisons, which also means that they are complicit in the torture and related crimes.”
The organisation has called for formal investigations to be carried out on the basis of the evidence it has collected, similar to those in place looking at criminal abuses in Iraq and Afghanistan.
“Ultimately, the responsibility for what is happening in the Authority’s prisons lies with President Mahmoud Abbas,” says the AOHR. The statement pointed out that Palestinians living under Israel’s military occupation in the West Bank are “protected persons” according to the Fourth Geneva Convention and that violation of the terms of the convention constitute “crimes against humanity”.
The families of detainees who have been interviewed by representatives of the AOHR allege that their sons are being tortured based on the marks they have seen on their bodies and verbal testimony from the prisoners’ themselves. The time that some have spent in Israeli prisons was not considered by the researchers. Torture is taking place, it is claimed, in respect of charges for which they have been sentenced by Israeli military courts.
Aside from the fact that Palestinian security agencies (there are several) frequently ignore court rulings that prisoners must be released, there is strong evidence that very serious torture is taking place in PA detention centres and prisons which appear to be acting beyond the law. This includes hanging detainees in the position known as “shabah”, with their arms tied behind their backs, beatings and sleep deprivation.
The AOHR called on the Secretary General of the United Nations and the European Union to initiate a formal inquiry into these allegations as a matter of urgency.
MORE ABOUT ISRAELI TORTURE
- Israel uses banned torture methods – Source
- Israel developed over 100 torture methods against Palestinian prisoners – Source
- UFree: Israeli doctors conceal torture incidents in Israeli jails – Source
- Stone Cold Justice – Israel’s Detention & Torture of Children – Israeli Torture policies
- Israel Torture Palestinian Children by Electric-Shocking – Source
- Saving Sergeant Shalit, Condemning Palestinians to Torture and Children to Imprisonment – Source
- The Story of 16 year old Yazen Abbasi tortured by Israeli Forces – Source
- Israeli military courts condone torture – Source
- Israeli doctors ‘failing to report torture of Palestinian detainees’ – Source
- Israeli doctors complicit in torture – Source
- An in-depth interview with Mukhlis Burghal, freed Palestinian prisoner who faced torture in Israeli jails – Source
- Dec 5, 2011 | Israeli military court, for first time, admits use of torture against prisoner – Source
- Israeli Torture – Soldiers beat Palestinian boy – video
More information can be found in the Category: Torture on this blog
|Palestine’s Prisoners In Photos|
|Palestinian Prisoners Special Topic|
|Palestinian Prisoners Category|
|The History of Israeli Torture Topic|
|All posts about Torture Category|
|Child Arrests – Topic|