#NAKBA65 | 65 YEARS NAKBA = ENOUGH!
A new report published in the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz describes the information found in a newly-uncovered document in the government archives, which reveals that the first Israeli government, including the first Prime Minister David Ben Gurion, worked to re-write the history of Israel’s founding in 1948 to deny the fact that over 750,000 Palestinians were forcibly expelled.
The file, number GL-18/17028, was apparently missed by the Israeli military censor, who has sealed all other historical documents related to Israel’s creation in 1948. With the advent of historians like Benny Morris, who went through previously de-classified documents in detail and found strong evidence of massacres of Palestinians by Israeli armed militias as well as the forced expulsion of most of the indigenous population of Palestine in 1948, documents that had been de-classified were sealed again and remain so until today.
There are currently no guidelines or timeline as to when the documents will be unsealed. However, the one file that the government censor missed has a great deal within it on the Palestinian Nakba (catastrophe), the 65th anniversary of which was marked by Palestinians and their supporters just this past Wednesday.
According to the Ha’aretz expose, “what has been uncovered provides enough information to establish that in many cases senior commanders of the Israel Defense Forces ordered Palestinians to be expelled and their homes blown up. The Israeli military not only updated Ben-Gurion about these events but also apparently received his prior authorization, in written or oral form, notably in Lod and Ramle, and in several villages in the north.”
The file also contains information on the Israeli hasbara (propaganda) campaign that was launched after the expulsion of the Palestinians, to try to re-write what happened and deny that the Palestinian people were forcibly expelled. The Ha’aretz expose says that in the early 1960s, under pressure from the Kennedy administration in the U.S. to address the crisis of the Palestinian refugees, Ben Gurion held a special meeting at the U.N.
According to the authors, “Ben-Gurion was convinced that the refugee problem was primarily one of public image (hasbara). Israel, he believed, would be able to persuade the international community that the refugees had not been expelled, but had fled.”
One of the lies promoted in the propaganda campaign of the early 1960s was a claim that Arab and Palestinian leaders encouraged the Palestinian people to flee during the 1948 Nakba. But the evidence contained in the one unclassified file does not support that claim. Instead, it was the massacres by Israeli militias in places like Deir Yassin, in which over one hundred men, women and children were lined up and shot, that made so many Palestinians fear for their lives and flee.
The rest of the documents on the subject, including government reports and military narratives, remain classified. Many of the original documents have also been destroyed by the Israeli government, some of which (according to researchers who read them) contained accounts of massacres, rapes, brutality and excessive violence that would have been embarrassing to the Israeli state, as well as calling into question the narrative that the Israeli government promotes and the history it teaches its children.
Al-Nakba Infograph by @visualizingpal
- FACT SHEET | THE NAKBA – 65 YEARS DISPOSSESSION & APARTHEID – The Imeu
- Brief Notes From Palestine and The Ongoing Nakba | Quick Insight
- 10 Facts abou the Nakba | Quick Facts
- Palestine villages destroyed during Nakba | Interactive Map
- The Palestinian Genocide | Research
- Nakba 1948 | The Documentary | Part 1 | Part 2 | Video
- 1948 | Lest we forget… | Memorial
- Plan Dalet and the Nakba | Facts
- UN’s complicity in Palestine’s fate | Facts
- In 2,5 months time UNSCOP created millions of refugees lasting 64 years | Facts
- Al Nakba – The zionist project | Facts
- A must read… Our Paradise on Earth | A story of the Nakba | A Voice From Palestine
- Erased and written over: How Nakba villages sunk into Israeli landscape | Facts
- Nakba Survivor … add your families story here | Project
- Tracing All That Remains Since Nakba | Nakba Project
- Zionist massacres of the Nakba | Facts
- The Children of Deir Yassin | Memorial website
- Deir Yassin Massacre – April 9, 1948 | History
- Deir Yassin Remembered | Video
- Nakba Day 2011 | Ramallah May 15, 2011 | by Ahmad Mesleh | Photos
- Nakba Day 2011 | Marches & death on the borders May 15, 2011 | Photos
- Nakba Day 2012 | In Photos
More Photography | The Nakba
More pictures in the Gallery Images | الصور
- iRemember… | Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation
- Special Topic | Ethnic Cleansing
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
انّا للہ و انّا الیه راجعون
May Allah Subhana wa Ta’ ala grant the Shuhada Jannatul Firdaus, and ease it for their families, loved ones and anyone around them. Allahumma Ameen ya Rabbil Alameen. ‘ Inna Lillahi wa ‘ Inna ‘ Ilayhi Raji’un, Allahu Akbar
* The by media displayed narrative of a bodycount – victims fallen by direct violence – does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which mostly stay undocumented. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does media display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting.
These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organizations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine.
For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.