48 Individuals are homeless…: Demolition of the Abu Al-Dab’at family home

…and the arrest of three Jerusalemites

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 | 15:11

0

Silwan, Jerusalem (SILWANIC) —The occupation municipality’s bulldozers demolished on Tuesday afternoon a residential building belonging to Abu Al Dab’at family in Al-Farouq neighborhood in Jabal Al-Mukabber in Jerusalem, under the pretext of building without a permit.

The 2-storey building has 4 apartments and has been built since 1973.

Raed Abu Al-Dab’at told Wadi Hilweh Information Center that the building was built on the family’s land which is 2000 square meters, on top of an old building which is there since 1930.

He said that the total area of the building is 480 square meters (each apartment consists of 3 rooms and their facilities) and 48 individuals lived in the building where most of them are children.

He also pointed out that the family tried to obtain all the required permits since the construction of the building from all the competent authorities, and as signed engineers and lawyers,but to no avail, on the pretext that the land will be confiscated to establish a “national park”, adding: “In 1982, my father was prisoned for two years for unauthorized construction, and they imposed building violation fees in 2007 which added up to 160 thousand NIS. In the last court session which was in 2009, they decided to demolish the house and then the demolition order was stopped by the lawyer, and at the end of last year the municipality crews raided our house to inform us that a demolition order has been issued and that it will be executed since neither us or the lawyer followed up with the order,stressing that they did never received any order or notice of demolition.”

He continued: “we were surprised today when they raided the building and got us out with all the furniture. We went to the District Court which postponed the demolition until 3 p.m. when the Supreme Court is supposed to make its final decision, but the police and municipality crews preceded thedecision andcarried outthe demolitionat 2:05 p.m.”

While demolishing the building, verbal altercations and clashes using hands occurred between the youth and the Special Forces, which assaulted and hit Samer and Mohammad Abu Al-Dab’at and Mohammad Shweiki, and arrested them.

Raed Abu Al-Dab’at confirmed their stead fastness on their land despite the demolition, pointing out that the Israelis attempted for years to buy their land and implement their settlement schemes in the area, but the family refused and will stick to its decision despite the various discomforts.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: