Gaza,(DRAH.ps)– Israel must immediately halt all demolitions of Arab Bedouin homes in communities in the Negev/Naqab desert which the government has refused to officially recognize,” Amnesty International said in a press statement Thursday, following news that the village of al-‘Araqib was once again razed by land authorities.
“The Israeli authorities must halt demolitions in these communities and change course completely to guarantee all citizens’ right to adequate housing,” said Philip Luther, Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Programme.
He added, “The Israeli government’s Prawer-Begin plan would lead to the forced eviction of tens of thousands of Arab Bedouin citizens of Israel. The plan is inherently discriminatory, flies in the face of Israel’s international obligations and cannot be accepted in any circumstances.”
The statement revealed that bulldozers from the Israel Land Administration, accompanied by a large and heavily-armed police force in more than 60 vehicles, arrived in al-‘Araqib early on Tuesday morning and began to destroy 15 shacks, effectively flattening the village and displacing 22 families.
The village, which has never been officially recognized by the Israeli authorities despite the residents’ longstanding claims to their lands, has been demolished more than 50 times in the past three years. Each time, residents have tried to rebuild their homes, constructing makeshift shelters on the same land.
“We have the right to remain here; our struggle has continued for generations and we will persevere,” said Aziz al-Turi, a resident from the village. “Our grandfathers are buried on this land. We will continue to rebuild and demonstrate to defend our right to live here.”
The latest demolition came a day after mass protests were staged across Israel, the occupied West Bank and in the Gaza Strip, against the proposed “Law for Regularizing Bedouin Habitation in the Negev”. This law would provide for the forced eviction of more than 30,000 residents from 35 “unrecognized” Bedouin villages in the Negev desert. In some areas, including Be’er Sheva and Sakhnin, Israeli police used excessive force against peaceful demonstrators opposing the plan.
All construction in these villages is considered illegal by the Israeli authorities, and their 70,000 residents lack basic services, including water and electricity.
Amnesty International is urging the Israeli authorities to scrap the draft law, which is expected to lead to a massive increase in home demolitions in these communities. Although the draft has only passed its first reading in the Knesset (parliament), the Israel Land Administration regularly demolishes homes and other structures in these villages unhindered. More than 120 homes and other structures in these villages have been demolished over the last five months.
“The repeated demolitions in al-‘Araqib and other villages show that the Prawer-Begin plan is being implemented on the ground, despite the fact that the bill is still pending in the Knesset and that the communities which will be affected still have not been genuinely consulted,” said Philip Luther.
“The Prawer-Begin plan discriminates against Arab Bedouin by providing less protection for their land and housing rights compared to other Israeli citizens. The international community must pressure the Israeli government to respect its human rights obligations within its borders, as well as in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.”
Full text of the Prawer Plan
What is the Prawer Plan
Demolition and Eviction of Bedouin Citizens of Israel in the Naqab (Negev) – The Prawer Plan
- Cancel the Prawer Plan
- Recognize the “unrecognized villages” and the land claims of the indigenous Arab Bedouin community
- Halt home demolitions and forced evictions
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with the Arab Bedouin community and the Arab political leadership to justly resolve the land claims
- Invest in greater health, education, and employment opportunities for Arab Bedouin citizens of Israel
Related in Media
- ‘When I look at the Prawer Plan, I see another Nakba’ – Source
- 2005: advisor to Peres already told US Negev “development” plan meant “relocation” of 65,000 Bedouin – Source
- All the Facts About Bedouin Settlement of the Negev ~ by Rabbis for Human Rights
- Adalah “Palestinian community prepares for General Strike against the Prawer Plan, get to know the people – Source
- Every Red Dot on map: 1 of Palestine’s towns eradicated from earth. Now Israel wants to eradicate 45 more towns. – Source
- Stand with @rhreng and support Bedouin rights! – Source
- Amnesty International labels Prawer-Begin Bill as racist – More
Related: Israel. Not looking for Peace. Nor Talks. But this… ~ The Facts