The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) has removed food aid for 9,558 families in Gaza since the beginning of the year, while adding only 5,430 new families to the programme. UNRWA’s Director of Operations in Gaza Robert Turner has said that, “The Agency continuously aims to improve the efficiency of the poor families’ aid programme.
Therefore, the agency has conducted a comprehensive assessment of families who should benefit from emergency food aid last year and the results will be applied in 2013.” Turner explained during a meeting with journalists on Wednesday that the assessment’s results were immediately applied during the first distribution cycle for this year.
According to Turner, “5,430 new families were added to the list of food aid beneficiaries and the food ration has been increased for 4002 families.” However, “the results showed that 9558 families” previously receiving food aid “should be moved to the non-poor category, and thus became ineligible for food aid.”
Furthermore, “1723 families will receive aid rations under the category of absolute poverty and not within the category of extreme poverty which earns double coupons and double rations.” The agency delayed the application of the new results to those families who would be receiving less or no aid out of respect for the holy month of Ramadan. Turner pointed out that the results of the assessment will be announced to families during the current month in three batches:
“The concerned families will be asked through SMS system to go to the office of relief and social services in their home areas to receive a letter that describes to them the change in their status as well as the complaint mechanism,” noting that “all families have the right to file a complaint.”
Turner continued: “UNRWA will address the families’ complaints within 15 days from the date of receiving the notice. In the case that their complaints are accepted, the families will be able to receive the designated aid ration before the end of 2013.”
Turner stated that families can still file their complaints after the 15 days deadline but UNRWA cannot guarantee that the complaint’s decision will be applied retroactively during the distribution cycle from October to December. He stressed that any family that provides incorrect information at any stage during the complaint process will be excluded entirely from the food aid programme.
Turner pointed out that the process “does not aim to reduce or cut down services. It is the daily work of UNRWA which includes surveys of poverty,” also noting that, “UNRWA aid has increased since the month of April for those who deserve it.”
He revealed that UNRWA is scheduled to receive a new grant soon and will be able to buy food aid that will be distributed during the next session. However that will be at the expense of the school feeding program that annually costs UNRWA US$5 million.
Turner stated that, “The Agency works according to priorities. If we do not make priorities we would reduce the food aid proportion to everyone, especially under the current regional circumstances with the Syrian refugees who consume most of the Agency’s support.”
Turner is meeting in Jerusalem today with a number of institutions and individuals from Sweden, the United States, Norway and Turkey to discuss the mechanism to lift the blockade that has been imposed on Gaza and to request aid from donor countries.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation 2011 *
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A “cover-up for settlement activity
- UN: Israel killed 2,300 & injured 7,700 people in Gaza in 5 years – Source
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
- March 23, 2012 | Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
- March 18, 2012 | A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Sept 5, 2013 | “Slow Death” -International report says collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
Click on the thumbnails to view the full albums
Martyred By Israeli Occupation Attacks
انّا للہ و انّا الیه راجعون
May Allah Subhana wa Ta’ ala grant the Shuhada Jannatul Firdaus, and ease it for their families, loved ones and anyone around them. Allahumma Ameen ya Rabbil Alameen. ‘ Inna Lillahi wa ‘ Inna ‘ Ilayhi Raji’un, Allahu Akbar
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.