Noura Erakat, USA Today
Israel’s Operation Protective Edge is not about security. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu provoked this war with Hamas in an effort to continue Israel’s ongoing project: Control as much land as possible with as few Palestinians as possible.
No rockets are fired from the West Bank, and President Mahmoud Abbas has been the most compliant Palestinian leader. He has gone so far as to coordinate security with Israel to protect illegal settlers and settlements from Palestinians, rather than protect Palestinians from the occupation.
Nonetheless, Israel’s settler population has grown from 200,000 in 1993 to 600,000. It has declared the Jordan Valley, 30% of the West Bank, a military zone and therefore off-limits to Palestinians. It has built a wall that effectively confiscates 13% of the land intended for a Palestinian state.
Elsewhere, the 2000 Jerusalem municipal plan aims to remove Palestinians from East Jerusalem to keep the 70-30 balance of Jews to Palestinians from changing to 60-40 by 2020. Israel’s operation in Gaza furthers its plans.
In the past three weeks alone, Israel has forcibly displaced 200,000 Palestinians in Gaza, demolished more than 5,000 homes, and established a “buffer zone” that makes 44% of the already tiny Gaza Strip off-limits to Palestinians.
Israel is forcibly removing the Palestinian population, concentrating residents into enclosed areas surrounded by military and settler infrastructure. Security is but a pretext.
Even if Israel’s operation is for security purposes, its conduct of hostilities amount to war crimes against a population it has a duty to protect. So far, Israel has killed more than 1,600 Palestinians, including about 350 children. Israel admits that it killed these civilians but says that Hamas is responsible for launching its military operations from civilian areas.
Past U.N. investigations have debunked this claim. Even if the allegations were true, the high death toll and destruction to civilian infrastructure make this operation completely disproportionate to the military advantage gained.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation (*)
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A cover-up for settlement activity
- “Slow Death” -International report: Collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
- A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
THE LEGAL RIGHT OF RESISTANCE
81 Notre Dame Law Review1275(2006). Conducting an in-depth study of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and also discussing other genocides, this article details the inadequacy of many of the international community’s response to genocides, such as “targeted sanctions” or international peacekeeping forces. Examining international legal authorities such as the Genocide Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Court of Justice, the article demonstrates that groups which are being subjected to genocide have a legal right of self-defense. International treaties, Security Council arms embargoes, or national gun control laws cannot lawfully be enforced in a manner which prevents self-defense resistance to a genocide in progress, because under international law, the prohibition against any form of complicity in genocide takes legal precedence over lesser laws. With Paul Gallant & Joanne D. Eisen. In PDF.
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
- If Jews in WWII Warsaw would have had rockets: They would have fired them too – by occpal
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.