The Pentagon says it will not stop arming Israel even if halting the provision of arms could urge the Tel Aviv regime to remain committed to a cease-fire with the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas.
Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters on Saturday that Washington is providing Israel with arms and ammunition “through a longstanding foreign military sales program” and will continue to do so under the program.
“Israel is a staunch ally in that part of the world. And that program has existed for many years, and we’re supplying that material through that program,” he added.
Like other US officials – including President Barack Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry, and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel – Kirby said, “We respect the right for Israel to have to defend itself.”
Twenty-nine days of relentless strikes by Israel in the besieged Gaza Strip has killed at least 1,880 Gazans, among them some 430 children. Tel Aviv’s prolonged onslaught has also left nearly 9,600 Palestinians injured.
On Tuesday, a 72-hour truce between Hamas and Israel took effect, with Israel announcing a total retreat from the conflict zones.
Israel even targeted United Nations schools in its nearly month-long offensive against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. US officials condemned Israel’s deadly airstrikes, saying they were “appalled” by a “disgraceful” attack on Sunday on a UN-run school sheltering about 3,000 displaced Palestinians.
However, on Monday, the White House sought to downplay suggestions of a growing rift between Washington and Tel Aviv over Israel’s blatant killings of Palestinian civilians, saying the relationship between Washington and Tel Aviv “remains strong and unchanged.”
Also on Monday, Obama signed a congressional bill that will provide Tel Aviv with an additional $225 million of American taxpayers’ money to improve its Iron Dome missile system.
The money would be in addition to the $351 million that’s already under discussion for Iron Dome in fiscal 2015. It would bring total funding to $576 million, compared with the $176 million requested by the Pentagon for the year that begins on October 1.
A Congressional Research Service report in April said that the US had provided more than $700 million to Israel for Iron Dome. The latest bill would lift that to about $1 billion.
Israel’s brutal atrocities against Palestinians are already heavily funded by Washington. Under a current 10-year deal with Israel, over $3 billion of American taxpayers’ money is flowing to Israel in military aid every year.
The incumbent administration is reportedly considering an increase in US military aid to Israel after 2017 when the current deal expires.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation (*)
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A cover-up for settlement activity
- “Slow Death” -International report: Collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
- A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
THE LEGAL RIGHT OF RESISTANCE
81 Notre Dame Law Review1275(2006). Conducting an in-depth study of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and also discussing other genocides, this article details the inadequacy of many of the international community’s response to genocides, such as “targeted sanctions” or international peacekeeping forces. Examining international legal authorities such as the Genocide Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Court of Justice, the article demonstrates that groups which are being subjected to genocide have a legal right of self-defense. International treaties, Security Council arms embargoes, or national gun control laws cannot lawfully be enforced in a manner which prevents self-defense resistance to a genocide in progress, because under international law, the prohibition against any form of complicity in genocide takes legal precedence over lesser laws. With Paul Gallant & Joanne D. Eisen. In PDF.
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
- If Jews in WWII Warsaw would have had rockets: They would have fired them too – by occpal
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.