Hundreds of Italians have signed an online petition slamming Israel’s actions in the Gaza Strip as a “slow genocide” of the Palestinians and demanding a “Nuremberg trial” for Israel over the “destruction” of Palestine.
The petition was signed by 525 Italians, mainly academics, Haaretz reported. The signees say they are dismayed by the events in Gaza and accuse Israel of pursuing colonial policies and “ethnic cleansing” of the Palestinians.
The document calls for Israel to face an international tribunal, a Nuremberg-like trial, for its war crimes and the “slow genocide” of the Palestinian people. Italian activists believe that not only the Israeli military and the government, but also the entire state of Israel and “its accomplices” should be brought to trial over current events, as well as those in the past and “the foreseeable future.”
The online document also blames the US for supporting Israel, and the EU for “active or passive complicity” in Israel’s actions against the Palestinian people. The petition signees also accuse the United Nations of its failure to stop Israel. The Western media, according to activists, paints the events in the wrong light, justifying the Israeli offensive in Gaza as a self-defense operation.
Called ‘Noi Accusiamo’ (We Accuse), the petition was initially published on an academic website, Historia Magistra, but has gone viral after being re-posted on the website of left-wing newspaper Il Manifesto.
However, the paper’s co-editor-in-chief, Tommaso Di Francesco, told Haaretz that Il Manifesto had “nothing to do” with the document and that it appeared on their website thanks to a blogger. He added that the petition did not appear in the printed version of the newspaper since he believes the Nazi comparison to be “repulsive and historically incorrect.” The series of trials known as the Nuremberg Trials were held by the Allied Forces after WWII to bring Nazi criminals to justice.
The document has already triggered strong reactions for drawing a parallel between Israel and Nazi Germany and for suggesting that an entire nation should face trial.
According to Haaretz, the petition was drafted by Angelo d’Orsi, a professor of history at the University of Turin and a contributor to a number of left-wing publications.
The author of the document said he was perfectly aware that the “Nazi analogy is a strained comparison.” D’Orsi said he referred to Nuremberg “to shock the Italian Jewish community,” which in his words is “a mouthpiece for the Israeli government.”
The publication comes amid growing international criticism over Israel’s operation in the Gaza Strip. The four-week offensive has already claimed over 1,800 Palestinian lives – most of whom were civilians, according to rights groups.
On Tuesday, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad al-Malki said that Israel must be prosecuted at The Hague for war crimes it committed during the conflict in the Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, Bill van Esweld of Human Rights Watch also told RT that the Israeli military must be held criminally accountable for the operation.
In Italy, for instance, signs bearing anti-Semitic slogans have surfaced across the country, with more than 70 posters and inscriptions with hate speech and swastikas appearing in the capital of Rome. Those included slogans such as: “Jews, your end is near”; “Dirty Jews”; “Anna Frank was a liar” and “Let’s burn synagogues,” according to Haaretz.
The situation has prompted Jewish communities across the EU to step up security, while almost one-third of Jews are mulling emigration, according to a study by the European Union’s Fundamental Rights Agency.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation (*)
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A cover-up for settlement activity
- “Slow Death” -International report: Collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
- A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
THE LEGAL RIGHT OF RESISTANCE
81 Notre Dame Law Review1275(2006). Conducting an in-depth study of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and also discussing other genocides, this article details the inadequacy of many of the international community’s response to genocides, such as “targeted sanctions” or international peacekeeping forces. Examining international legal authorities such as the Genocide Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Court of Justice, the article demonstrates that groups which are being subjected to genocide have a legal right of self-defense. International treaties, Security Council arms embargoes, or national gun control laws cannot lawfully be enforced in a manner which prevents self-defense resistance to a genocide in progress, because under international law, the prohibition against any form of complicity in genocide takes legal precedence over lesser laws. With Paul Gallant & Joanne D. Eisen. In PDF.
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
- If Jews in WWII Warsaw would have had rockets: They would have fired them too – by occpal
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.