The Israeli government has tried to defend its indiscriminate killing of civilians by claiming resistance fighters hide among the people, when actually there is no safe place in Gaza. We have documented that Israeli forces have used Palestinian civilians as shields. This is not the first time.
11 August 2014 | Euromid Observer for Human Rights | AIC, Beit SahourThe Israeli military uses Palestinian civilians as human shields, a new report from the Euro-Mid Observer for Human Rights soon will reveal. An investigative team from the non-governmental organization, based in both Geneva and the Gaza Strip, has obtained first-person testimony from several families in various locations describing their capture and use as “shields” for Israeli soldiers for hours at a time.
“The Israeli government has tried to defend its indiscriminate killing of civilians – including more than 400 children – by claiming that resistance fighters hide among the people, when actually there is no place in Gaza that is safe from the bombs and shelling,” says Ramy Abdu, chair of the Euro-Mid Observer. “Instead, what we have documented is that Israeli forces have literally used Palestinian civilians as shields as they killed their neighbors.”
One of these victims, Ramadan Muhammad Qadeeh, who lives in the town of Khuza’a in the southern Gaza Strip, recounted his family’s harrowing ordeal in a video interview recorded by Media Town and released by Euro-Mid Aug. 9. An Israeli assault leveled much of Khuza’a, leaving whole streets flattened and once-grand mosque domes reduced to ground level. One man recalled counting 360 shell attacks in a single hour. Most of the town’s 14,000 inhabitants fled.
On July 25, says Qadeeh, he was sitting in his home with his extended family of 27, including 19 women and children. At 1 p.m., Israeli forces stormed into the house. His 65-year-old father, Muhammad Qadeeh, who holds a Spanish travel document, tried to tell the soldiers that that they are civilians, repeating it once in Hebrew and then in Arabic. When he took a step toward the soldiers, one of them fired two bullets directly into his heart from a distance of just one meter. He died immediately, in front of his family.
“Then they ordered us to take off our clothes and tied our hands up. They took us to one of the rooms and used us as shields, making us stand at the windows as if we were looking outside,” Qadeeh says. “I was at one window and three children from my family at another. The soldiers then began firing around us.”
The family members were moved to different rooms and windows, with bullets flying around them, for more than eight hours without food or drink. “It was terrifying, I don’t know how we survived,” he says.
In another incident, on July 23, 17-year-old Ahmad Jamal Abu Reeda, says he was restrained by Israeli troops who threatened to kill him. After harshly interrogating and beating him, the troops ordered Abu Reeda to walk ahead of them at gun point, accompanied by police dogs, as they searched houses and other buildings. Several times, they demanded that he dig in places they suspected tunnels to exist. Abu Reeda was forced to remain with the Israeli forces for five days.
Euro-Mid Monitor notes that the Israeli practice of using Palestinians as human shields is not new. It previously documented an incident in which Israeli military forces stormed a home in the village of Silwad, near Ramallah in the West Bank, and used it as a watchtower for snipers. The home’s residents – two elderly Palestinians with American citizenship – were herded into and kept in one of the rooms after their phones were confiscated.
“International humanitarian law prohibits the use of civilians as human shields,” says Abdu. “Fighting forces must make every effort to protect civilians who are not involved in killing and make sure they are kept away from danger. Israel must be held to account by the organizations charged with upholding international law.”
See AIC’s activities in support of Palestine’s efforts in appealing to the International Criminal Court.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation (*)
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A cover-up for settlement activity
- “Slow Death” -International report: Collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
- A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
THE LEGAL RIGHT OF RESISTANCE
81 Notre Dame Law Review1275(2006). Conducting an in-depth study of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and also discussing other genocides, this article details the inadequacy of many of the international community’s response to genocides, such as “targeted sanctions” or international peacekeeping forces. Examining international legal authorities such as the Genocide Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Court of Justice, the article demonstrates that groups which are being subjected to genocide have a legal right of self-defense. International treaties, Security Council arms embargoes, or national gun control laws cannot lawfully be enforced in a manner which prevents self-defense resistance to a genocide in progress, because under international law, the prohibition against any form of complicity in genocide takes legal precedence over lesser laws. With Paul Gallant & Joanne D. Eisen. In PDF.
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
- If Jews in WWII Warsaw would have had rockets: They would have fired them too – by occpal
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.