BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — A Palestinian media watchdog on Thursday said that July was the bloodiest month on record in the history of the Palestinian press, as nine journalists were killed and eight media outlets shelled during the ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza.
The Palestinian Center for Development and Media Freedoms said in a statement that the targeting of Palestinian media had continued into August, with at least six more journalists killed in the last three weeks as well.
General director of MADA Mousa Rimawi said in the statement that the attacks on journalists were widespread and focused in Gaza, where the homes of 16 journalists were also destroyed and transmission to a number of different TV, radio, and media websites was cut by the Israeli military.
“MADA believes that they would not have died if (Israeli forces) had been hold accountable for its previous crimes against journalists, which are considered war crimes according to the Geneva Conventions which protect all civilians in case of war.” The report said that seven journalists were killed in Israeli assaults on Gaza in 2009 and 2012, and “so far nobody has been held accountable.”
The statement said that in July, Israeli occupation forces had committed 73 violations of media freedom throughout the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem, while three were committed by Palestinian parties in the West Bank.
The report stressed that the the 15 journalists killed in the last six weeks “were killed in civilian sites which are supposed to be safe for civilians, including news workers.”
The report also said that while some were killed in their homes or while covering the aftermath of Israeli operations in residential neighborhoods, others were “deliberately targeted.”
“PalMedia Company driver Hamid Adballah Shihab was killed while he was driving a PalMedia’s car carrying a ‘Press’ sign, journalist Hamadah Khaled Maqat was killed by a rocket while he was walking, and Palestine Public TV sport commentator Ahed Zaqout was killed during the shelling of his house,” the report said.
The report also counted at least 12 journalists that had been injured during the Israeli assault on Gaza.
“The circumstances of the Israeli crimes and attacks against journalists and media outlets during the Gaza assault indicate that some were deliberately committed to silent them,” the report said, noting that “Israel did not hide the fact that it deliberately shelled the media outlets it accuses of being Hamas propaganda mouthpiece, such as Al-Aqsa TV and satellite channel.”
Of the eight media outlets that MADA said were destroyed, it said five were targeted deliberately, including three headquarters of Al-Aqsa, the office of Alwataniya Agency for Media, and the Al-Jazeera TV premises, which the report noted was hit a day after Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman threatened to close it.
71 percent increase in violations in West Bank
The report also noted that the Israeli military disrupted the broadcasting of seven radio and TV stations and websites, and used the stations to “broadcast inciting messages against the Palestinian resistance.”
The report said that the crackdown was not limited to Gaza but extended into the West Bank, where they recorded a 71 percent increase in violations of media freedom, including “arrests, physical abuses, shooting of live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets and gas grenades, prevention from coverage, expulsion and detention, and confiscation and damage of equipment.”
MADA counted five journalists arrested across the West Bank as well as one whose home was raided and searched before being handed a summons for interrogation regarding his work.
The report also said 17 journalists were injured in the West Bank, the vast majority by rubber-coated steel bullets fired by Israeli soldiers during clashes.
It noted that two Palestinian journalists were also injured inside Israel when they were attacked by groups of Jewish Israelis near Sderot in southern Israel as they were covering the assault on Gaza from a hill there.
The report also said that Palestinian authorities had carried out three violations of media freedom, including preventing journalists from covering a story in Jenin as well as summons for interrogations for two other journalists based on Facebook posts.
For who does not understand the need or concept of resistance of Palestine, recommended read:
The History of Resistance – The Eagle of Palestine
- Special Topic – All Israeli Massacres on Palestinians
- iRemember… – Confirmed Names of Martyrs Occupation (*)
- Special Topic – Ethnic Cleansing
- Israeli escalation in Gaza – A cover-up for settlement activity
- “Slow Death” -International report: Collective punishment of Gaza has reached critical stage – Incl Full Report PDF
- A “Leaflet” to the World about it’s own “forgotten” Extermination Camp called Gaza
- Gaza Siege Harshness Continues. Israel’s committing slow-motion genocide ~ by Stephen Lendman
THE LEGAL RIGHT OF RESISTANCE
81 Notre Dame Law Review1275(2006). Conducting an in-depth study of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and also discussing other genocides, this article details the inadequacy of many of the international community’s response to genocides, such as “targeted sanctions” or international peacekeeping forces. Examining international legal authorities such as the Genocide Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Court of Justice, the article demonstrates that groups which are being subjected to genocide have a legal right of self-defense. International treaties, Security Council arms embargoes, or national gun control laws cannot lawfully be enforced in a manner which prevents self-defense resistance to a genocide in progress, because under international law, the prohibition against any form of complicity in genocide takes legal precedence over lesser laws. With Paul Gallant & Joanne D. Eisen. In PDF.
- The Palestinian Right of Self Defense
- Brayer: The Absolute Right of Palestinian Resistance – Source
- No. Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory – Source
- If Jews in WWII Warsaw would have had rockets: They would have fired them too – by occpal
MYTHS & FACTS ABOUT THE ROCKETS FROM GAZA
- The “Rocket” from Gaza Myth – Photography
- More facts about the Rocket from Gaza Myths – Storify
- Half the story: What @IDFSpokesperson leaves out about #Gaza ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Israel and #Gaza: Context Behind Projectile Fire ~ by @yousefmunayyer
- Truths and lies behind Israel’s attacks on Gaza and its whining about rockets ~ by @AliAbunimah
- Israel is not looking for peace. Nor talks. But: This
* The list of shuhada does not display, the numerous victims of the zionist occupation which are undocumented by media. Nor it displays the victims of the “silent onslaught” due to restrictions of movement, ability to go to hospitals for treatment or life saving surgery, due to lack of medication because of the blockades and so on. For example: The Slow Motion Genocide by the Siege on Gaza only, killed 600 patients since Gaza got under Israeli Siege.
Neither does this list, display the avoidable mortality. A clear and statistical factual evidence, about the number of deaths due to indecent ruling by occupation forces. For even an occupier has obligations under International Laws, Geneva Convention and the Hague regulations, which it is neglecting. These circumstances, together with deliberate policies of the occupier to neglect and even deny every basic human right, severes avoidable mortality which is totally silenced by media or reporting organisations. While in the Holocaust, 1 on 6 Jewish people directly died of deliberate neglect, so if we believe the facts over 1 million due to avoidable mortality, neither should these same circumstances be ignores which are ongoing in Palestine. For this report displays a avoidable morality of at least 0,5 million Palestinians.
How many more dead corpses of Palestinians does the international community need to see in order to act? How many more cruelties and violations of Human Rights, Regulations and International Law will be needed to intervene so this ongoing warcrime is being stopped once and for all.