PressTV | Published on Aug 31, 2014
Palestinian health officials say there’s a shortage of clean water especially at UN-run schools where nearly 22-thousand refugees are sheltering. They say various diseases are spreading among the refugee population due to the lack of water and hygiene. UN agencies are warning that the humanitarian situation is getting worse because of Israel’s ongoing blockade. Meanwhile, Gaza’s authorities say the densely-populated region is without electricity for 18 hours a day. Gaza’s sole power plant came under an Israeli attack in late July. Officials say it’ll take at least one year to fix the damaged power station.
SPECIAL TOPIC: No Water, No Sewerage
“Access to safe water is a fundamental human need & therefore a basic human right.” ~Kofi Annan
Gaza | Continuously without water, without sewage, even by force because Israel opens a dam.
Everything is being done, to make life in Gaza impossible. Gaza remains Worlds Largest open Air prison, an israel an an occupier, even neglects rights of the “concentrationcamp”-people they are lawfully to respect, as per International and Humanitairian laws is obligated to even as an occupying force.
As a “Disengaged Occupier” (Report from GISHA), Israel uses deprivation of water as a mean of ethnic cleansing. Access to water, restricting or making the quality causing water borne diseases are to be called deliberate and common policy rather than obeying to at least minimal standards of humanitarian or morals. Even causing deaths, which can be classified as “Avoidable Mortality” also known as “Excess Deaths”: The difference between statisticly proof of normal deathtrates, compared to the reality and difference due to bad ruling or care, even under occupation in which an occupier has also obligations under International Law and is responsible for the continuation of basic needs and supply of such. Reality is, Israel does all not to provide this.
These and many more policies like the calories per head-policy for Gaza, result in a flagrant violation of Human Rights and is a cause of many illnesses and even deaths which are silenced. Media coverage of Israeli attacks or damage on Gaza and West Bank tend to focus on the immediate damage inflicted. Like a well is destroyed, or polluted. Like a dam which is deliberately flooded. But the excess deaths and diseases due to the policies are silenced by all means.
From the news: Occupation opens dams flooding Palestinian homes in Abasan (nov 4, 2011)
From the news: ISRAEL OPENS DAM GATES IN GAZA CAUSING HAVOC (jan 2010)
January 19, 2010 at 13:20 (Gaza, Health Crisis, Israel, Palestine, Photography, zionist harassment)
Gaza flooded after Israel opens dam gates Israel has opened the floodgates of one of its dams in the eastern part of the Gaza Strip, flooding Palestinian houses and causing severe damage.
The Israeli authorities opened the dam’s floodgates without any prior warning or coordination with local authorities in Gaza, stunning the residents of the area, the Press TV correspondent in Gaza reported late on Monday.
There has been heavy rain in the region over the past 24 hours. It seems the Israeli authorities could not handle the huge amount of rainwater and decided to open the floodgates without prior warning.
Because Gaza is located in a low-lying area and the elevation decreases on the way to the Mediterranean Sea, water gushed into the area, flooding two Palestinian villages and displacing a hundred Gazan families. The locals say Israel intentionally caused the floods, the Press TV correspondent said.
The waters from the dam, called the Valley of Gaza, flooded houses in Johr al-Deek village, which is southeast of Gaza City, and Nusirat in the eastern part of the territory, where the Al-Nusirat refugee camp is also located. The Valley of Gaza is about 8 kilometers long. It starts on the eastern Gaza border with Israel and ends in the Mediterranean.
The houses of many Palestinians have been flooded and a number of people are trapped inside or on their roofs, while many have also gone missing, the Press TV correspondent said. Rescue teams are using small boats to evacuate the trapped people.
Hamas has condemned the act as a war crime and has called on all concerned parties to intervene and offer assistance to the locals.The flooding has made life more difficult for the Gazans, especially for those still living in tents because their homes were destroyed in the December 2008-January 2009 Israeli war on the Gaza Strip.
In the war, more than 1,400 people were killed, mostly women and children, and over 10,000 houses were destroyed or damaged, forcing at least 500 families to live in tents.
Very little progress is seen in reconstruction of the devastated areas in the Gaza Strip, mostly due to the Israeli blockade, which has prevented the delivery of building materials to the coastal enclave.
From the Palestine Telegraph
Israel opens Dam so Gaza submerges
Gaza – Many Palestinian houses were under water in Central Gaza after Israel opened a closed dam on Tuesday. Israeli authorities opened the “Al-Wadi” dam without prior notice after heavy rainfall on the area.
Seventy citizens were rescued by Civil defense staffs. Medical sources said that 9 citizens were injured and transferred to Gaza hospitals. They said that rescue teams rushed to the area and evacuated all the residents who live in distance of 500-600m in Al-Moghraqa, central Gaza Strip. The minister of Social Affairs Ministry in Gaza, Ahmed Al-Kord, said that they opened Kafer Yasef School for 100 evacuated families. He added that the ministry provided them with the need supplies of food and sheets.
In the West Bank demolitions of wells, springs & water structures
|List of water structures in the West Bank demolished by Israel from 2009 to 2011 (source: UN OCHA)|
|Demolition date||Community||Governorate||Type||Number||Est. people affected|
|08-06-09||Al-Baqa / al-Bweira||Hebron||well||7||80|
|27-10-10||Deir Abu Dief||Jenin||well||4||11,583|
|14-12-10||Kassem ad-Daraj/Um ad-Daraj||Hebron||cistern||14||950|
- France accuses Israel of water ‘apartheid’ in West Bank | Haaretz | Jan 16, 2012
- List of water structures demolished by Israel in the West Bank from 2009 to 2011 – List
- For more info read “The Right to Water – A Policy of Denial and Forced Displacement in the OPT” – Report Al-Haq
- May 23, 2012 | Water apartheid leaves Palestinian children ill | Electronic Intifada
- June 5, 2012 | In a recent report , Al Mezan center for Human Rights facts are related that Israel’s blockade damaged the environment in Gaza | Report
- June 8, 2012 | Water desalination projects to solve Gaza’s problems: a wolf in sheep’s clothing? | Electronic Intifada
- June 14, 2012 | Gaza water too contaminated to drink, say charities | BBC
- Support and Join the Palestinian Campaign Thirsty for Justice
- Get knowledge about the Human Right to Water & Sanitation Portal Right To Water
Links & Resources
- Palestinians in Gaza face humanitarian disaster due to water pollution | Mar 24, 2011
- Waterborne Diseases Likely to Erupt in the Mediterranean | Feb26, 2011
- Gaza water quality still cause for concern | Jan 8, 2011 | With Video
- Official report: 90% of Gaza water polluted | Jan 3, 2011
- Gaza subjected to air strikes, water crisis | Electronic Intifada [Sept 2010]
- Israel Opens Dam deliberately and floods Gaza | Press TV [ Jan 2010]
- Water Crisis in Gaza: How Occupation Affects Palestinians Access to Water (and healthrisks of polluted water 
- The Water Crisis in Gaza 
- Israeli siege creates drinking water crisis in Gaza Electronic Intifada 
- Israel keeping Gaza parched, Amnesty International says | CNN 
- Attack on water brings sanitation crisis | Tadamon
- Water supplied in Gaza unfit for drinking;
Israel prevents entry of materials needed to repair system B’Tselem[Aug 2010]
- ‘Israel hogging Gaza water sources’ | Press TV
- IOF soldiers destroy 4 Palestinian water wells
- Poisoning of Gaza water puts population at risk | Electronic Intifada 
Israel-oPt: Water, sewage system “collapsing” in Gaza, says official | Relief Web (Jan 5, 2009)
- World Water Week podcast: 90% of water in Gaza not safe to drink | Oxfam (Sept 7, 2010)
- Sewage may contaminate Gaza drinking water | Electronic Intifada
- Palestinian deaths following infringement of right to medical treatment in the OPT, 2000 -2011| Btselem
- Dialysis in Paralysis | Electronic Intifada
- For all related news about health or related issues in Palestine | Category Health